Benadryl?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockyrocko

Reaction score
I was wondering about giving Rocky children's Benadryl? The vet said he may have allergies. I forgot to ask the doctor about that. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Hmm.. I know you can give dogs benedryl, my dog gets it daily. Don't know about rabbits because on their GI is complex. I would call the vet and ask.

If you're actually sure it's an allergy.. A lot of over the counter allergy medication for humans is fine for other animals as well. I would use a very small amount of a tablet for a few days and see if you notice any improvement.

I've never dosed benadryl in rabbits but I don't see why it wouldn't work at all, the only problems are how the drug reacts over long periods of time and the damage it does to the body once you start upping the dosage, but I've found it great for building a tolerance to an allergy as well.

I googled it for rabbits and it's not a good idea. Thanks

I googled it for rabbits and it's not a good idea. Thanks

Google is not the end all of the world, just sayin.

A lot of times, when you take an animal in to a vet, and they prescribe an allergy medication- they give you the exact same thing you can buy at your local pharmacy, it's just in a smaller tablet so you don't have to break it up.

I would likely imagine benadryl would actually be fine, just it hasn't been tested all that much. I debate taking a few animals from my herd and seeing how they do on it.

Well what I found was other bunny forums. It's better to have a vet prescribe the right thing/dosage. Better to be cautious than have a bunny in worse shape or dead. He has to go back next for an ear check or even this week if he's not acting like himself. I can ask then.

Sent from my iPad using Rabbit Forum

I wouldn't chance it. If all fails call the vet :)

Well what I found was other bunny forums. It's better to have a vet prescribe the right thing/dosage. Better to be cautious than have a bunny in worse shape or dead. He has to go back next for an ear check or even this week if he's not acting like himself. I can ask then.

I was a few months from being a vet, just didn't peruse it. Just saying, from what I would recommend as someone nearly completely qualified as a vet. :)

You are correct.

Diphenhydramine has been used for rabbits although in my exotics formulary it's listed specifically for Torticollis. I've had a vet prescribe Chlorpheniramine as an antihistamine to one of my rabbits when we suspected allergies although it didn't clear it up.

Basically, yes there are antihistamine options for rabbits, but I wouldn't recommend dosing it yourself.

Diphenhydramine has been used for rabbits although in my exotics formulary it's listed specifically for Torticollis. I've had a vet prescribe Chlorpheniramine as an antihistamine to one of my rabbits when we suspected allergies although it didn't clear it up.

Basically, yes there are antihistamine options for rabbits, but I wouldn't recommend dosing it yourself.

Yup know that now. He's seeing the dr today for a checkup. Its on my list of things to ask/talk about.

Dr says Benadryl is ok but only 2.5 ml. That's if we want to try it.

Latest posts

Back