Bella has chamged since bein spayed, also question on bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1357rabbitlover

Reaction score
Bella was spayed just over a month ago, for the past couple of weeks she has been a bit weird with me, like when i go into her run she charges at my feet, she hasn't bitten me but charges and grunts, could this be to do with her spay? Also if i put my hand in she follows my hand around and won't let me pick her toys or bowls up because she keeps on pushing my hand away? why is this?

Also, Buckley (my neutered male that i am trying to bond with Bella) has changed his mind on Bella recently. They used to share a run in the day time(this happened for about a week), but now they have to have separate runs because when Bella binkies Buckley hates it and charges and bites her for it, and still now after about a week with being in separate runs Buckley still hates it when Bella binkies and charges up at the run, so i have had to put about a 5cm gap in between their runs because he will bite her through the bars. I keep on trying, and trying and i don't know why but things are going down hill! Before Bella was spayed, Buckley and Bella were best mates, but since being spayed, they have not got along for more than a week!

did he go with her to the vet when she got spayed? one bunny coming home to the other smelling like "vet's office" can wreak havoc on a bunny bond.

since they've been fighting, you might want to keep them completely separated for 2-3 weeks if possible to give them time to forget about the fights they've had. after that, re-start the bonding process from the beginning.

Yes I agree with Jennifer, it's probably her smelling like the vet that has him upset.

However, I don't know why she is acting territorial towards you. Did this happen before the spay?

She could be reacting to buckleys tension. I second what Jennifer said, seperate them, work on getting her calmed down and acclimated to life again, the start the bombing process over. :(

Not the thing you want to hear im sure. I'm sorry they are fighting!!

They weren't bonded before Bella got spayed but they did see each other everyday when they were in their runs and would groom each other through the bars, but it was Bella that would sometimes bite Buckley so i couldn't house them together so i didn't bring Buckley to the vets with her, but Buckley didn't see Bella for about 10 days so i guess thats why he has fallen out with her.

Yeah, i think it's best if i just separate them. Why is bunny bonding soo difficult! lol
And Lisa, you saying that Bella may be reacting to Buckley's tension is actually probably right, i never realised until you mentioned it, because if i bring Bella inside or into the front garden where she can't see Buckley she is completely fine with me, and then once she goes into her run next to Buckley and Buckley is stood their with his tail all high watching her, she charges at me for it! Well yeah, i'll re-start the bonding process after about 3 weeks then! Hopefully it works this time.. thanks a lot for your advice :)

Hormones still continue for a little while after the spay. Her hormones could just be going crazy from the surgery. Give it a few weeks-month for her to settle down and you might see a change. For now, just separate her when you want to feed her or give her new water so she doesn't see you as threatening (trying to take her food away etc)

Latest posts

Back