Bella and Buckley met for the first time today.. are these good signs?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1357rabbitlover

Reaction score
I know people on here were telling me to wait until Bella is spayed to properly introduce her with Buckley (neutered) but i could tell that they were really wanting to meet each other properly. They were digging holes in their run to each others run..

Well literally 5 mins ago i brought them both into the living room and Buckley straight away just lay flat with his head on the floor, then Bella humped him (which i know is a good first introduction sign). Bella was circling Buckley and making the honking sounds, so does this mean she fancies him or does it also mean dominance too? Also should i let Bella hump him, i know it's a ok to let them do it, but Bella wouldn't stop and while she was doing it she was pulling his fur of his neck out and Bella was humping him for about 5 mins (thats how long i put them together for) Buckley just lay there the whole time letting her.
Also i heard that i shouldn't let Bella hump Buckley's face as it can cause problems? Is this true? If so, what am i supposed to do when she does hump his face? as i am just taking her off at the minute, but is this right?
Also, when should i end the bonding session? Is when one is humping the other a good time or when they are ignoring each other or?? Today i did it whilst i was stroking them both when they were next to each other.. is this ok?

Overall is this a good bonding session, and how long should they be? Should i increase them each day?

Sorry for all the questions but this is my first proper bunny bonding!

It sounds like Bella is in heat. Female rabbits can become quite aggressive during this time, and pretty insistent about being "serviced". I would be careful as there is a possiblity that she can really hurt Buckley. I think that your idea of stoking both of them while they lay beside each other is a safer course to take until Bella is spayed. As for Buckley getting his face humped, somehow I don't think that could have been very pleasant.

How soon can she be spayed? She's clearly very hormonal. It's not a painful situation as if it were the other way around, but I can't see how it is improving the chance that they will bond.

Everywhere i have read has said that the humping will still happen even if Bella is spayed as it's what bunnies should do to see who is going to be the most dominant (it won't happen forever just for the first couple of bonding sessions).
Bella is only 4 months old, i am going to wait until she is 5 or 6 months until i spay her.

Also my vets told me that rabbits don't go into heat, as rabbits are induced ovulators, which means that that doe releases eggs in response to mating.

Can someone please answer all my questions, i really need to know! :D

Sorry to say that she was in heat, was a bad chose of words. intact female bunnies going into puberty can be very hormonal. In this case it sounds like the female is trying to establish dominance over the male. If the fixed male recepricates and humps her, it could case her to have false pregnancy issues - making nest, pulling hair and even not eating. Intact females can become very territorial and agressive. Some articles say that the male may have trouble bonding because he doesn't trust her, and once she is spayed you may have to rebond the two of them again. Some people have success with bonding an intact female and fixed males, but it depends on the breed of rabbit. Alot of articles suggest that only supervised visits be initiated until the female is spayed. If the male rabbit has been neutered within the last 30 days, she can still be impregnated. I would continue as I said before with limited, supervised visitation, and any agression on either part should be stopped, if you want to bond them after she is spayed. There are a lot of opinions on this subject. You could check it out online.

I brought them both in again today and Bella humped Buckley for the first couple of mins then Buckley groomed her/kissed her and then they both were eating with each other! So cute! Then they just ignored each other and were doing binkies all over the place! :)
Buckley was neutered about 10 months ago. So far these are all good signs as to what i have read, so could someone please tell me if what i have read is correct? And these are good signs?

Should have said "courting behavior" instead of "in heat". Our bonded pair would "hump" each other but not that often or long. Sounds like a neuter is needed to put the hormones in check.

Latest posts

Back