Bell Peppers and Corn husk

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering about corn shuckings too. Are the leaves OK? I have checked all the websites I know of to see if the leaves are edible...they aren't sweet and shouldn't cause gastric upset like the corn itself...anyone know of a good website to look it up?? I have a farmer that is willing to give us all his left over greens from the market which means unlimited corn shuckings...if they can eat it!:)

Also, I find Zucchini listed but nothing about the leaves...or cucumber leaves...any ideas??

The only thing I can think of...are corn husks really stringy? Because I know that with celery, it's recommended that if you decide to give it to your buns, to cut it in pieces, because the strings could be bad (though I don't remember why...they get stuck in the molars?). So, I'm thinking, if I remember correctly, corn husks are stringy.

Just a thought...I'll try to do some research about it later on. Until then, I would either try researching online, or just hold off.

maherwoman wrote:
The only thing I can think of...are corn husks really stringy? Because I know that with celery, it's recommended that if you decide to give it to your buns, to cut it in pieces, because the strings could be bad (though I don't remember why...they get stuck in the molars?). So, I'm thinking, if I remember correctly, corn husks are stringy.

Just a thought...I'll try to do some research about it later on. Until then, I would either try researching online, or just hold off.
Rosie, if I remember right, the celery strings can entwine the intestines and cause major problems.

I called several vets and the OVC here in Ontario and according to them the leaves or shuckings from corn have little or no nutritional value other than for roughage. That being said...I dried several leaves and offered them to the bunns and they seem to be a hit. The lady I talked to at the OVC said that they were better as a treat than as a regular food item though. Although I guess that depends on what you feed your bunns in the first place. We like to feed a mix of 5-7 different veggies so adding something like corn leaves doesn't mean that they are going to lack for vitamins or nutrients in their diet. She was concerned about the prickles some types of corn and zucchini have on their leaves...but since our bunns enjoy raspberry leaves she didn't see a problem with zucchini leaves either. Just an advisory to feed the greener leaves if we did. I have a tendancy to dry things out for our bunns since it is hard to find certain things in the winter...so if I can dry loads of basil and bits of corn leaves, etc...it makes for a nice mid-winter treat for the kids!:D

I have fed the husks to my buns recently. They weren't overly thrilled, but did eat them. I didn't see any change in poo from anyone.

My pigs on the other hand think it is Christmas! I love summer because of all the fresh (cheap) seasonal things they get.

Latest posts

Back