BELGIANS!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAK Rabbitry

Reaction score
I got my first set of Belgians the other day. I had one for a while but he passed away soon after I got him. But now I have a little boy and a little girl and I've named the doe Cheza, and the buck Tantris II, after my first one.
They're both incredibly sweet and curious and i'm just....so happy to have Belgians again. I didn't know if I wanted another one. But now I R having two!

I'm looking for another one but that's proven difficult. Help? Peas?

Here's a pic of my little doe. I picked her up to carry her somewhere and she kind of just ....slid into this weird position. She was perfectly content though. I grabbed my camera off the counter...PHOTOOP!

crazyBelg.jpg

Hey JAK, moving this thread to the Rabbitry, it's heading in that direction, but once you get more photos (especially at least semi-posed ones) it would be great to add them to the new "Breeds" section.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=18

This couldbe a Bloginstead -- or as well as -- if you like,somebody can move it there or you can start a new journal for the Belgians, butbest to ask about another bunny in the Rabbitry.

Hope that's okay!

sas

Very cool! Belgians are great. So regal looking, and very sweet.

I have a friend that picked up a trio at the ARBA convention back in November. I live in Florida- so I can't really help you find any. I think his are some of the only ones in FL. I am sure you must have some breeders in your area. Have you looked on the Belgian Hare club's website?

I think the club is working on getting another site up. Linda Telega was the club secretary and did the website. She resigned, and the site went down.

I'm not sure what Matthew did with his newsletter, or I'd post the new secretary info.

Pam

I know a lady that breeds them in CT and I believe that she is going to the Lebanon, PA show the first weekend in Feb. Let me know if you want her info.

Sharon

Are you planning on going to that show?

Yes, I will be goign to the convention. I'm booking my hotel today.

Another Belgian is on my shopping list, so I would like her info if thats ok.
The problem is, I can onyl get another one if I have room. And right now I don't. IF I can sell like, 7 rabbits at convention, then yeah I might have room. I wish I had a rabbitry, then I could just buy another stack of cages. But no, I have spend all this time making hutches. Its fridiculous.

Someone told me steel buildings are cheap to construct. I worried aboutt hem being too hot in sumemr and too cold in winter. But my friend just constructed her barn of steel and its jack dandy.

What do you guys think?

I don't know about the steel buildings. My rabbits split between my yard and my basement. Bucks are outside in hutches and my does are in stacking cages in my basement.

Sharon

I will PM you the address for the lady, I have to look it up.

Thanks muches.

Most of my rabbits are outside in hutches.

But because I have no room I've ended up moving 7 of them into our sunroom....just an unfinshed, not insulated room of our house connected to our laundry room. I don't tihnk they're ever going to finish it. We jsut use it for storage. So I have 7 bunneis in stacking cages in there.

I'm currently finishing up construction on a 3 rabbit hutch. So hopefully I can move some bunnies outside today. There is a ''no rabbits in the house'' rule I'm kind of totally not listening to. I tihnk i'm goign to start a new thread...

Here's another pic of my little girl.Our cousins came over tonight and mum kept telling me to get fetch one of the baby french lops and I was like '' no, its dark, and muddy, and our backyard is not but a giant hill...and you want to me get a frickin' lop for you?"
"yes"
"no. You can hold my Belgian, she's in the sunroom."

She was much against the idea, frenchies are her favorite. But I amde her hold Cheza and she was like '' I don't like these ones....they're crazy..." I was like '' you've never even touched one before..."

PREDJUDICE!

I need to do a nice photo shoot of she and her brother tomarrow. I also want to make a video of my one dutch, Cymry for everyone. When I let her run loose in the kitchen...she follows me everywhere at my heels and the one day she charged the cat out of there. And then Cym goes and just does the dead bunny flop next to the stove and lies down...and the cat come over and gets mad because that's her spot (she likes to sleep next to the stove because she can hear the mices) and the rabbit has something to say abou that...I just think its comical. So...video tomarrow maybe tonight if my perants leave the kitchen...they don't like buns in the house. But my brother is stinkier than my bunnies so I don't see what the problem is.

-JAK

You guys wanted more pics of Cheza, so look i'm finally posting.

belg.jpg

I tattooed her last night and I put her on my bed for just a moment before I wrapped her up in a blanket to take her back down to her cage and she just HAD to explore. Belgians i've found aren't by any means mean...but they can't hold still. Anytime is a good time to explore and check thigns out and pee on Jesse's bed. I guess if I were a Belgian I'd pee on my bed too?

belgbed.jpg

Jesse's bed is amazing!
belgbed2.jpg

Taking photos of my Belgians has proven to be darn near impossible because they move SO much. But hey...never a dull moment.
brrito.jpg

She actually held still for this one. This is how you make a Bunny Burrito. Bunny rito. ITs just for decor though so dont' eat it.

Chz.jpg

Erron was holding her on his lap and he wasn't wearing a shirt so I had to edit out his manb00bz. But I got that awesome Belgian pic I wanted with the both ears straight up and forward I LOVE That.
ears.jpg

All I could see were her ears sticking up out ...It reminded me of shark fin....
AND....CUE JAWS MUSIC.

head.jpg

And I just threw the blanket over her and she stuck her head out like ' well...why did you do that?''

:inlove:i think i am in love with your belgian. . .

what kind of cage do you keep her in? i heard they need special cages. . .no wire floors and such. . .?

i think that after winnie and herman are gone (hopefully not foranother 10 years. . . i want my 2 to live forever) i want to get abelgian. . . they are so cool looking. . .

then again, i say that to every breed of rabbit i see . . .even the mixes. . .

Yeah, they're not supposed to live on wire floors. I have them in an outdoor hutch with a wire floor, but I covered most of the floor with a board and some hay and just left a small wire section for a toilet. ITs hard though because they eat any and all hay I put in there unless its in their box.... so keeping the floor covered is kinda tough. I don't want to use wood chips because they clog up the flooring so quick and then the nasties can't drain andfall through and its soooo difficult to clean that out. Its happened....I've had bunnies who INSIST on taking EVERYTHING under the category of bedding out of their boxes and throwing into the cage area and then the poo on it and it gets all gross and the chips get caughtitn eh wire and its just a pain in the arse to clean.

I like to use these welcome mats from Dollar TRee...they're woven outof sea grass with big 1/2 inch holes in them (just like cage wire) but the're like 3/4" thick and spoingy and compeltely safe to eat....these are perfect for Belgian feet (and tummies apparently).

Back