Being neutered tomorrow

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SParrott

Reaction score
My 2 babies are going into be spayed and castrated tomorrow.

I have just a few questions.........

1. how long after their opps should they be back to normal (on average)?

2. should I not give them their normal bedding of straw and give them fleece's and towels?

3. how long after their neuters can I start to bond them?

SParrott wrote:
My 2 babies are going into be spayed and castrated tomorrow.

I have just a few questions.........

1. how long after their opps should they be back to normal (on average)?

2. should I not give them their normal bedding of straw and give them fleece's and towels?

3. how long after their neuters can I start to bond them?

1. For the female, it'll take about a week. She'll be pain meds also, so make sure you insist on taking some home for her. The male will be fine right after surgery, maybe just a little tired from the anestetic(sp).

2. Either bedding is fine;). The first couple of days maybe use fleece.

3. You'll want to wait about a month after the neuter, as he can still impreginate the female. It takes that long for the hormones to completely die down.

You'll also want to pay extra attention to the female as this is more an invasive surgery for her. She may not eat hardly anything the first 24-36 hours, but should nibble. You'll want to make sure she's eating almost normally by 48 hours.

Yep, what Angel said.

I also recommend the fleece (as long as it's not being eaten) or no bedding at all when he gets home - you don't want anything to damage or infect the cut.

Thanks guys, I dropped them off half an hour ago. I feel so guilty for putting them through this.

I've got to call the vets at 2pm this afternoon to see how it has all gone. This is going to be the longest day at work ever, I'm not going to be able to concentrate until I know they are safely out of the aesthetic.

I wish I could be with them so that when they wake they have got a familiar face.

Well please keep your fingers crossed that all will be ok.

Just phoned the vets and they are both awake and their operations all went smoothly. They have had their pain relief, and I will be collecting them @ 6.30 tonight.

I'm sure the pair of them will be very grumpy with me for the next few days, as evil mummy bunny has put them through so much pain!!

I just can't wait to finish work and get them home for lots nose rubs.

Glad to hear they're doing well.

Remember to insist on pain meds for your female, as she will definitely be needing it. The shot they give her should last at least into this evening.

Let us know how they are doing when you get them home;).

As far as bonding goes, it was a good four months before my guys got the hormones out of their systems and settled down. Even though they are brothers, or in spite of it, they fought wickedly with each other from around the time I got them at four months, and their neuters were in their fifth months. They called a truce gradually, but like I said, it took a few months, really. Nowadays, they are great with each other and I have no fear leaving them to free roam the house together.

Gordon

Picked them up last night and the vet was very please with them, said they were making great progress.

By the time we went to bed Buck was pretty much back to his normal self, eating, drinking, peeing & pooing! But poor Bailey was feeling very sorry for herself. I managed to get her to eat some dandelion leaves but she wasn't interested in eating anything else.

This morning I checked their war wounds and they all look fine. Bailey still isn't interested in eating anything other than dandelion leaves and is just being very quiet, but she has been peeing and pooing during the night.

I am hoping that by the time I get home later she will have perked up a bit. But I guess it was such a big operation for her she is going to take longer to bounce back and Buck.

Glad to hear theyre doing ok! The girls usually do take a few days longer to get back to normal. Did they give you some pain meds for her? Its good shes pooping a little already.

Keep us posted and i'll be praying for a speedy recovery!

We went back for a check up last night and the vet is very happy with both of them, their wounds are nice and dry and healing well. He wants to see Bailey again next week just to make sure she is healing ok and said I can bring Buck in with me as well if I liked.

It look Bailey at least 3 days to get back to her normal self. All I could get her to eat was dandelion leaves and she would only drink if I used a syringe and almost fed her, I'm sure she was playing on the fact that I had been mean to her.

But now they are both back to normal and it's difficult stopping the jumping up when I go into their room.

So as this is my first experience of have buns neutered I feel it has been a good one.

Thank you for all you kind and helpful words.

Back