Being held

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindy10

Reaction score
So I have a question. I was told by the breeder after the first day try to start picking the bunny up so she gets use to it. I don;t believe they held her much at the breeder. Well she struggles when I pick her up but will finally calm down. So my questions is how did you get your bunny use to being held? Do you try to hold her a few times a day? Once a day? Alot of times a day? I don't want to stress her/ She will come out of her cage comes over to us and sniffs then will run away. Has anyone had a bunny that hated being held eventually like being held?

Ebunny has always kinda liked being held (she hates being picked up, but when she is up, she snuggles my shoulder). She does struggle when I pick her up, and I am only trying to get her used to it for the grooming and vet visits. I really don't want to try socializing her when she is sick or in pain. I pick her up briefly a few times a week. Some of these time, she is in need of grooming or something, so I will complete the task as fast as I can. I try to only hold her briefly, multiple times a week. I try to make some of these times just a say "hi", get pets kind of holding. No matter why I hold her it is mostly always brief, and she gets praise and treats like she saved humanity, lol....All this comes together to make a relatively happy bun. Consistency is key. Be gentle, but firm with her, you have to do what you have to do, and sometimes that means we have to pick them up :D:coolness:

Remember that rabbits are prey animals and they're used to being firmly on the ground. Being picked up, even by their favorite human, may evoke instincts that say they're about to be eaten. Try socializing with your bun on her level first. Sit or lie calmly on the floor. Be sure you're entertaining yourself with a good book or something similar and just ignore the rabbit. Eventually, curiosity will get the best of her and she'll check you out. Let her start your relationship on her terms and you'll be better off in the long run. She needs to trust that you're not going to eat her.

I had several foster buns that they said were going to be just cage-rabbits. I eventually got them to the point where I'd be able to flip them and they'd fall asleep on me. I started out just pulling up a chair to their cage and sitting there, not looking at them after I fed them. I'd put the food closest to me and wait until they approached and began eating. Then I'd leave and give them their space. Over time I'd hand feed them and then work up to petting them on the head. I then would have them in a play-pen and feed them on the floor next to me, and eventually in my lap. When they were content being pet all over and sitting on my lap without leaping away at any touch, I'd pick them up and set them down.. maybe 2-3 times, then let them run around without bothering them. They'd usually start associating my lap with treats/food, and being pet with treats. I could then pick them up, flip them, and then let them go as a "reward" asap. Over time they stopped minding being pet, picked up, manhandled for toenail trims, etc. It did take several months, but I have done this with very terrified rescue buns and even feral caught rabbits and all have become well socialized and easy to handle house rabbits. Patience is key.. and yummy treats don't hurt either :)

:yeahthat: The more time you invest, the better. Not all will become lap bunnies, but all of ours will let us handle them without all the problems. It helps when checking glands, clipping nails, and just general handling since our teleporters broken.

Back