Behind the name

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melbaby80

Reaction score
Whats your reason behind your bunny(bunnies) name(s)?

Jack - From Jack Skellington Nightmare before Christmas
Sally - From Sally Nightmare before Christmas

When Tim Burton started to do the claymation type movies I fell in love with Nightmare before Christmas. I know every single line and song. Yes I have watched it that many times. :biggrin2::baghead

That's cute :)

Agnes is from a movie too! My son is obsessed with the movie Despicable Me. The little girl in the movie is named Agnes. He picked it and Agnes was so little and furry and cute when we brought her home and she didn't look like an "Agnes" at all that it fit even more!

My sons other choices were Firefly and Bumblebee and I liked both those too.

For 3 years old he picked some good names :)

Get ready for a long post. This is all the buns I've ever had. They all have middle and last names, too, but I didn't explain those :) It's kind of interesting, all but 2 of my bunnies have people names. I like them all (obviously), but none of them are actually names I would give to children for whatever reason.

Cinnabun: My brother came up with this name when our parents said we could get a bunny (we were 10 and 13), it's a play on Cinnabon cinnamon rolls. At the time, my parents were considering opening a Cinnabon franchise and, uh, we love cinnamon rolls :D I've since heard of lots of other bunnies named Cinnabun, but I still think we did a pretty good job thinking of his name considering we were just kids!

Rory, short for Rhiordan: I saw this name on a sign (it was actually for some local politician) and thought Rhiordan would make the PERFECT bunny name, with Rory as the nickname. I came up with this name a good 6 years before I got my boy Rory 5 years ago (when I was 22). There was no question what his name would be when I met him, I waited for him for soooo long :) Rhiordan is Irish and means "little poet king." At the animal shelter, Rory's name was Belvedere.

Tallulah: Is Irish and means "Princess." I thought it would go great with Rory's Irish name! It was the perfect name for my little princess.

Skyler: Oh, this boy took forever to name. We knew we'd be getting him from a fellow forum member 2 months before he came home and I still hadn't thought of a name when he came home. Finally settled on Mylo but changed his name to Skyler after a month. He flew home to us on an airplane (actually several- Philadelphia to Dallas to Seattle to Anchorage, then a 6 hour car ride from Anchorage to Fairbanks!) and I liked that the name has "sky" in it :)

Phoebe Mae: Phoebs took about a week to name. Phoebe is a feminine form of a male name associated with the moon. I've always thought it looked like there was a bunny in the moon. Mae is after Tallulah Maesie, who I called Mae Mae much of the time.

Ned: Took a while to name. He was Paxton for a few days before I thought of Ned. He's indirectly named after the character Ned from the show "Pushing Daisies." I thought of it when we were watching the show! The name Ned fits him to a T. It's cute but kind of dorky and goofy, just like him :) Paxton was way too majestic for my silly boy. Ned's name was Giovanni at the animal shelter and Vinny with the people who adopted him and kept him for a week before deciding they didn't want him.

Maximus: Very easy bunny to name, I didn't really consider any other name. He has a lot of white on him and he just reminded me of the adorable/hysterical horse Maximus in the movie "Tangled." Also, he was a super teeny tiny 6 week old baby when he was adopted and I thought it was funny to give him such a big name :)

Mabel: Mabel is the sister of Maximus and took about 2 weeks to name. I test drove Matilda, but came back to Mabel, which was the first name I considered. I wanted her name to start with M so she'd match Maximus. Like Phoebe Mae, Mabel is named after Tallulah. She's also named after my mother-in-law's best friend, a nice old lady named Mabel Hopp :) Mabel's primary nickname is Macie, which I call her about half the time. Mabel's middle name is Celestia and Macie is kind of a combo of those two. She's also named after Macey, a very sweet Holland Lop whose owner used to post on the forum. Girl has a lot of namesakes :D

Nomi: My husband named her after a Jedi master from Star Wars. Her name before we adopted her was Oreo.

Podge, short for Padraig: Pretty easy bun to name! I came across Padraig (PAW-drig) with the nickname Podge a couple months ago on St. Patrick's Day. When we met our little man, I immediately thought of this name for him. He incidentally was born right around St. Patrick's Day :) I kinda sorta considered name him Brogan, but Padraig was the definite winner. Was named Orson by the animal shelter.

As you can see, I put way more thought than necessary into bunny names! I actually have an MS Word document full of names I like for bunnies... :)

Alice - I was wondering what the name of the rabbit was from 'Alice in wonderland' was, couldn't think of it, then Alice just came to me and she stayed as Alice.

Bonnie - i wanted a name that meant something in a different language; it means beautiful in Spanish.

Casey - Wanted her name to start with a 'C' so then Alice, Bonnie and Casey was like 'ABC' with the first letter of their names :)

Buckley - 'Buck' means male rabbit and he was the only male rabbit i had so thought it sounded cute.

Bella - Wanted a name that meant something in a different language; means pretty in Spanish. :) :)

With Clyde I originally wanted a female rabbit and wanted to name her Bonnie but the rabbit that we got was male. I told my brothers they could name him but they had some pretty ridiculous hard to pronounce names! So I settled for Clyde since it went along with Bonnie! =)

Weston got his name from one of my favorite "16 & Pregnant" episodes.(Hi, my name is Jen, and I am addicted to MTV) :embarrassed:
I called him Chance for a few days but still had Weston stuck in my head so he became Weston Chance.

Love this thread! I am really horrible at naming anything, and usually go with the first thing that pops into my mind. LOL

Nestle-because I am addicted to Nestle Quick and 2% chocolate milk. He's brown, and I'm definitely addicted to him, too. :)

Max- She was supposed to be a buck, and we bought a little doe at the same time. She was Ruby and he was Max. Now "he" is really a "she" and is a Maxine. Those cartoons of grumpy, witty Maxine? That's our Max. LOL

We have an Abby, Ziva, and Agent Gibbs (Kitty's rabbits) from her favorite show (which I can't stand).. NCIS

Frostie- because as a baby she was this frosty white color.
Blaster- Because she was ALWAYS blasting around the cage
Heifer- Because her markings, as a baby, reminded me of a heifer calf.
Dopie Opie- First Opie because he's opal, and Dopie..well, because he acts like a dope. LOL
LaRew- The REW (real original)
Booberry- looked like a little blueberry when she was born.

Wendymac, I wanted to name my Mabel Ruby so I would have Max and Ruby :D I'm going to be an elementary teacher and just thought it would be cute. Rosemary Wells is one of my favorite children's books authors. My husband thinks Max and Ruby are creepy though and refused to let me name Mabel Ruby :( Still think she would have made a great Ruby! Max and Mabel are cute though too.

Thumper: It's just too typical and easy for my liking. my husband and I are both the types to think carefully and wait till just the right name comes up. I had some weeks of waiting to get him and thought through some names but not too hard as I really wanted to wait to meet him and learn his personality. He was home for some time and still I couldn't come up with anything that was just right. My husband finally said "call him Thumper, He was a cool bunny in the movie".

I'm still not happy with it though and most of the time I call him Thump which has more of a big sound to me which fits since he's a flemmie. Also, the first full day here he thumped at me. Just one thump and it stopped me in my tracks. I had no idea such a small foot could make such a loud thump and on carpet over thick padding.

I remember the max and ruby cartoons lol my kids to watch them all the time. So much creativity!! Keep it coming! :)

You'd be surprised how loud they are! Jack thumps on the floor when he's loose and weighs about 2-3 pounds.

Korr: His full name is Korrailli. I used to play Neopets and ended up with one named Korrailli. I thought it woudl be a great bunny name and it was.
Sophie: She took a couple weeks to name. The movie The Illusionist was just out and one of the characters is Sophie.
Penelope: Named after the Great Big Sea song of the same name.
Sean: Named after Great Big Sea member Sean McCann.
Lillian: I just liked the name. Took a couple months to settle on it.
Ginny: She has red fur, so naturally was named after a Weasley.
Amelia: I was watching Dr. Who the day after I got her and the name Amelia just suited her.
Tesla: Mostly named after the character in Sanctuary. When I first decided I wanted a Tan buck, I came up with the name Tesla. It stuck and he suits the name very well.
Kraken: So I can say 'Release The Kraken!".
Gizmo: His name was Waffles, but I didn't really like that. He has been hand raised by Lillian's breeder and was called Gizmo by her and his breeder. So he went back to Gizmo.
Nala. I didn't name her, but I am pretty sure it comes from The Lion King, she is a lion head and does look like a lion.

Yikes, as I was falling asleep I realized I left out Kerensa! Sorry, Kerensa! She was super easy to name. We had decided to get another Holland Lop girl about 6 months before we actually got her, and I was combing name websites for the perfect one when I came across Kerensa, which means "love." As soon as I saw it I knew we had our bunny name! Then I saw our sweet little bunny girl and knew she was Kerensa :) Never considered any other names for her. The funny thing is I thought the name Kerensa would lend itself to all kinds of cute nicknames (I call my pets by nicknames a lot), but she ended up being... Wennie. What a silly nickname. When I'm talking to her, I call her Wennie 75% of the time. Oh well!

My favorite names of my bunners and the ones that I think fit them best are Rhiordan, Tallulah, and Kerensa. Padraig and Ned are close behind.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Korr: His full name is Korrailli. I used to play Neopets and ended up with one named Korrailli. I thought it woudl be a great bunny name and it was.
Sophie: She took a couple weeks to name. The movie The Illusionist was just out and one of the characters is Sophie.
Penelope: Named after the Great Big Sea song of the same name.
Sean: Named after Great Big Sea member Sean McCann.
Lillian: I just liked the name. Took a couple months to settle on it.
Ginny: She has red fur, so naturally was named after a Weasley.
Amelia: I was watching Dr. Who the day after I got her and the name Amelia just suited her.
Tesla: Mostly named after the character in Sanctuary. When I first decided I wanted a Tan buck, I came up with the name Tesla. It stuck and he suits the name very well.
Kraken: So I can say 'Release The Kraken!".
Gizmo: His name was Waffles, but I didn't really like that. He has been hand raised by Lillian's breeder and was called Gizmo by her and his breeder. So he went back to Gizmo.
Nala. I didn't name her, but I am pretty sure it comes from The Lion King, she is a lion head and does look like a lion.
LOL love the kraken

I have an adopted dog named Johnny. That was his name when I adopted him and I just kept it. So when I decided to get a rabbit I had no idea what to name her but June popped into my head. Johnny and June :biggrin: I thought it was cute. I really like the name June. Her nick name is June Bug

It just popped in my head. I do know a male aracari named Elliot, and we have a female named Jewels. That may have been a factor. Males are predominately black. Really, it just sounded cute...like him, and it fits.:coolness:

Tesla is a cool name. It was a rock band from the 80's.:biggrin2:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vwHuCC6nP8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vwHuCC6nP8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GwIgKRj7hU&feature=related[/ame]

In general if my buns came with names I kept them, but I gave them middle names. I use their full names when they are in trouble, and they know the difference.

Rebecca Lynn- her original name was Rucca, but she would flinch when I said it so I changed her name a bit. I tend to call her Becky Boo anyway. She never gets her full name.

Indiana Bunns (RIP)- He was oreo, but he was abused so I decided a name change was in order. One of his eyes had to be removed and he had way too many adventures in his life. I named him after Indiana Jones, who also had an eye patch in the last movie and way too many adventures.

Cinderella Lu (RIP)- Came with Cinderella and I liked to call her Cindi Lu Who.

Houdini Muppet- He came with Houdini and lives up to the name. Muppet is self explanitory for anyone who has seen him. He looks like a rock-star muppet. I tend to call him Bini for some reason, don't know why.

Ghirardelli Square- He looks like he has white, milk, and dark chocolate for fur. He's also super sweet. He normally goes by Gary, but he gets his full name the most. Granted, he loves to be naughty so he just binkies.

Sophie Bee- She came with Sophie and she loves to buzz around the house like a big bee. I like to call her SoBee.

I like june bug, reminds me of an old time name when poodle skirts were in fashion.

Carole, still in love with your mini toucan!!! And of course handsome elliot :D

Brandy your bunnies names are awesome!! Love sophie bee

Back