BEHAVIOR

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylady2

Reaction score
I RESCUED A YOUNG MALE CALIFORNIAN ABOUT THREE MONTHS AGO. THE CALIFORNIA KING RESIDES IN MY GUEST BEDROOM.HE HAS TAKEN UP DIGGING AND RIPPING THE COMFORTER ON MY BED. NOW HE IS STARTING ON MY PILLOWS. I HAVE TRIED SO MANY ALTERNATIVES, BUT HE ALWAYS RETURNS TO THE BED FOR DESTRUCTION. ANY IDEAS!! HE IS NEUTERED. I APPRECIATE ANT HELP ANYONE CAN GIVE ME.

Don't let him on the bed. I know some people have fenced off the bed, though fencing him in would work just as well.
It's natural for them to want to dig. Mine have their own towels and blankets to rearrange (though if they're eating them, that's a problem)

If you know your bun is a digger, redirect it to his own things he can dig in like some blankets or a digging box.

SNOOPY HAS HIS OWN TOWELS TO SCOOT AND DIG, DIGGING BOX, CONDOS TO CHEW AND NUMEROUS TOYS AND BASKETS. THIS BIG GUY JUST ALWAYS GOES BACK TO THE BED. HE IS OBSESSED. I PUT HIM IN HIS LARGE PEN IN THE ROOM THIS MORNING. HE USUALLY ONLY GOES IN IT AT NIGHT. HE USED TO BE SO WELL BEHAVED!!

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE.

I don't think you offended anyone at all. :)

(We're not very officious around here).

I have the same problem with my dwarf. She was fine until I made the mistake of giving her a towel to play with, now, yikes!The bed is the most favoured playground. I'm washing the bedspread today and seeing new holes. But that's my fault for takingoff thefaux bedspread.I have hairy cats who will shed and/or throw up hairballs (or worse), so along with the rabbits, all my furnitureis covered by old thrift store bedspreads, covers and blankets. When company comes, I take them off and hope for the best.

When Pipp was really going through a bad bed phase, I put down a sheet of plasticshe didn't like to jump on, and laterI place NICwire grids around the edges, that kept her from jumping up on it.

The NIC grids have also been used to'cage' thefurniture. I have twioportable 'L' shapedwired grids -- I think they're two panels high and about three panels long -- blocking off thecouch as needed, a few more like that will take care of the bed. They can be placedon the floor around the bed or on top of the bed itself. They're easy to move and store, especially is you're using plastic zip straps to bind them, they fold upeasily.

Pipp loves chewing on boxes, she won't touch the apple and pear tree branches (or hay), put her favourite pastime is still the bed or the laundry. My mother never did manage to teach me to pick up myclothes,but thatbunny has!

Good luck with him, that's awesome that you rescued him. (And btw, if he wasn't neutered that long ago, he will calm down, it can take acouple of months).

sas :bunnydance:

Thanks soo much. It sure helps to know I'm not alone and this bunny issue is not unique. Great ideas. I will work on it today!!

We really dogo to any lengths for our rabbits. I always say I don't keep house, I keep rabbits!! Snoopy was neutered in May.I don't know his background as he was left to die in a foreclosed home. He has a terrible upper respiratory infection and was soo filthy. He still is a bit territorial I'm hopeful he will improve. I am glad we rescued him as I know alot of people would not have the patience to work with him. He has come along way. thanks again for the great ideas. I will keep you updated.

Latest posts

Back