Behavior questions: This is a bit foul

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southernk4

Reaction score
Hey everyone! It has been a while since I have been up here because my bunny has been doing good :) But now I am having a few issues that I wonder if anyone could help with...First off I can't keep Mason out of his cage for longer than 15 minutes or he pees on something with like no warning so I don't know how to prevent that other than keeping him out a lil at a time (suggestions wanted!). Then second I tried to mate him because he is a humping machine!! He knows when I am on that time of the month because he gets all lovey dovey on me and begins to rub and nibble on me then humps me. When my clothes are on the floor he gets on them begins to dig at them then starts to poop from excitement...this is beginning to be an everyday affair. I know I can get him fixed but is there any other ways...and I know he's a rabbit and this is what they do but jeez he's as bad as my husband!!!!

The reason he is doing all of that is because of his bunny hormones, and I dont think there is a way to stop it other that getting him fixed. Even though it can be a little expensive, getting hormonal bunners fixed is well worth it! :)

If you don't want to get him neutered, then can you keep him in one room? Don't let him have full run of the house. Just let him have likethe living room. Good Luck. :)

I wouldn't let him hump you or let him get in your clothes. Try to make some boundaries with him.

Un-fixed rabbits will spray urine to mark their territory, so if you don't want to fix him, that's something you'll have to learn to live with. Same with the humping.
I'd strongly suggest to get him fixed, there are so many reasons to do it, including health.

For now, maybe you can confine him to an ex-pen or bunny proofed room, and put down a tarp or something to protect carpets and floors. Then put a carpet scrap down on that, or something that is easily washed or cleaned, and that you don't mind him peeing on too much.
This way he'll still get to run and excercise, which he does need.

As for the humping, I agree with SweetSassy. Set some boundaries, and tell him NO. Don't give him access to your clothes, give him a stuffy he can hump instead of you.

Since I'm a breeder, I obviously don't get my male buns fixed. I have some that have sprayed. It may sound silly, but most get over it if I tell them "No" sternly, stomp my foot and then ignore them. If they're out they go back in their cage. If they're in their cage, I walk away. Since I have other buns I will stay close by and give attention to the other buns. If they are at the door looking for attention I tell them I'm mad at them and walk away. It's super hard and I feel really bad, but it tends to work wonders. It's best to get him over this when he's young or he'll get set in his ways and you'll have a hard time fixing it.

As for the "love machine," good luck. My buck Anoop has been known to ride my arm if I'm wearing a fleece...I guess the material is bunny-enough for him. I've found that some rabbits are like this when they're still under a year old. Sometimes they mature and get over this. Others may never get over it.

Getting him neutered could fix the problems...well, definitely the humping part. Sometimes if they've sprayed for awhile neutering doesn't fix the problem. If you are considering neutering him, do it while he is young so that he doesn't get so accustomed to these bad habits.

Ok. So a ballpark estimate of getting my rabbit neutered would be??
I don't let him hump my arm or get to my clothes he does it when I am not paying attention and he does what he wants, the only time he listens is when I call his name to come to me. I did mate him and he was successful in making the doe prego...I was surprised since the only testicle he has is a massive one that is on one side!!
BTW I work at a grooming facility and the dogs only try and hump me not anyone else in there...ugh!

Around here it's about $100, but that might be higher than the norm. We don't have many vets that will neuter (and none that will spay), so they probably can set whatever price they want. I think that cost includes everything associated (anesthesia, surgery cost, etc.)

Getting My Smudge neutered was $362! Haha, I bet no one will beat that price.
But Smudge is an older rabbit, so I had blood work done and 2 X-rays taken, so thats included in the price, along with Baytril and Metecam and the neuter itself. I have an awesome vet, and getting Smudge fixed there was worth every penny to me!

You can also call yor local rescue/shelter/humane society and see who they use and if they can suggest someone who knows what they are doing.

Back