Behavior question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmfh

Reaction score
Recently my 6mo. old bun started chasing the cats. She will run up to them and bump them in the back legs. She also has begun to place her front paws on the cats' shoulders. When the cats react she starts jumping around and the game continues till she gets tired or the cats run off. I'm just wondering if this is play or some type of dominance behavior.

Thank you.

How do the cats react? My rule of thumb deciding if it is play between my rabbits and cats is if both look like they are having fun with the interaction and repeat the behavior then it is a game.

Example- Cindi (rabbit) will sit in front of Andre (cat). Andre reaches out and pats her butt twice (no claws). Cindi runs around like a mad woman, but comes back to sit in front of Andre. The process repeats until Cindi gets tired. I rule it a game because if Cindi wasn't having fun she wouldn't keep sitting 2 inches from Andre. Also Andre does not do this to Becky (other bun). Apparently it is a Cindi specific game.

However, Andre will chase Becky down the hall. It's a game because Becky chases Andre coming back up the hall. Hope this helps.

Back