Behavior Issues With New Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnyCait

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So we've had our new Elop home since last Friday... And everything was going well, he seemed friendly enough. Then slowly, we realized he is just not as friendly as we thought. Either he got more comfortable and this is what he is really like, or something here is scaring him to make him... I don't know, dislike us I guess would be how I put it. He doesn't seem happy interacting with us any more. I didn't really think anything of it, just that he was being a typical rabbit (with Breakfast and our dear What being quite the exception, as friendly and loving as they are/were). We already knew he hated being picked up, he kicks and kicks like he's struggling for his life. So we avoid picking him up.

But tonight he bit my wife. She was on the floor sitting and he was running around our basement (think family room, not typical scary basement) and he came up to her and laid his head down like he does sometimes, and we've been interpretting this as him wanted to be petted... So she pet him. And he lashed out at her with his front feet, growled, and bit her hand pretty severely.

I don't know. I know that could have been interpretted as her provoking him... But he came over to HER. Whenever he did that before, we pet him. Now I'm thinking we had it all wrong... This was not a "pet me" action... I don't know what it is supposed to mean.

He also does not even tolerate the idea of other rabbits. I had Breakfast out in the basement as well and without hesitation the new rabbit went after him. Breakfast is a friendly, affable boy. All he wants is a rabbit friend... He didn't do anything that read as offensive. Obviously we haven't tried to do that again, and probably won't.

He just doesn't seem to enjoy us. I'm wondering if he was scared when he first got here, and now that he is settling slightly he's acting out? He won't be picked up, and now he acts scared when we pet him. How are we supposed to interact with him? I don't know. I just feel really discouraged, because he was so sweet when we met with him and the staff said he was a good rabbit... I'm prepared to give him more time. It hasn't even been a week.

I have to add that I have a son who is not the biggest fan of animals. Having a rabbit around who dislikes people and lashes out just doesn't go... I hate the idea of having a rabbit penned up all the time just to keep him away from my son. The other rabbits free roam most of the day (although seperately). And my wife does not have the nicest thoughts about the new rabbit... She's never been bitten by anything before, and in her mind she just doesn't get why. She thinks it's like a dog... In fact the words were "If this was a dog, he'd have already been on his way back!"

I have to admit that it is also disheartening to both my wife and I because we sort of expected him to be like What... I don't know why, stupid people thoughts I guess. It just makes us miss him more... That probably sounds stupid but I'm being honest. I think it was a mistake to rush into getting another rabbit so soon, just because he was the same breed... I don't know. It's just upsetting.I hope he just needs more time... And this isn't the REAL him.

I just want to reiterate, he isn't going anywhere. I'm just looking for a little insight, some encouragement...

And he did it again! I just went to put their night time veggies in the rabbits' pens, and he rushed me at the entrance and bit me as I was setting it down! What on earth???

I just wanted to add that he is indeed neutered and has been for about 8 months. Is he THAT unhappy here??

I'm sorry you are having behavior problems with your new boy. :( It's always a bit of a risk that after someone loses a beloved pet and gets another in a short amount of time (there is nothing wrong with that) that they will be passing on expectations. You may not even be consciously aware you are doing it, but you an feel the disappointment. I believe it's part of grieving process as well. Once you can recover from the unexpected death and come to terms that What had his own unique personality, maybe you will be able to see your new bun in a new light.

Just a thought, but if he doesn't like other rabbit's, is it possible your wife had the scent of one of your other bun's? Sometimes rabbit's will lash out randomly like that if they pick up a scent they dislike. Even a perfume. Another thing to consider... since he is a rescue and if you are unaware of his past, the way your wife went to pet him may have set off a traumatic memory. I've seen this happen in horses, I have no doubts Rabbit's can experience the same thing as well.

With the kicking when you pick him up, this is probably due to him not being socialized enough with people. Many shelter rabbit's are not, sadly there are just so many and not enough time. Most Rabbit's just generally dislike when people hold or pick them up, but usually you can get a rabbit to at least tolerate this kind of handling through positive reinforcement and repetition. Doing the bunny burrito, where you wrap the rabbit in a towel can help make it easier. I do believe it's important to get your rabbit as comfortable with handling as you can so you can easily do their nails, scent glands, and provide medical attention if needed.

Reading your update just now, is it possible you smell like your other bunnies?
Did you pet them before giving him his veggies?

Those are some good points Happi Bun.

My girl Sugar is as sweet as pie, she love, love, loves people. She will stretch herself up as high as possible to beg for pets and gets all pouty if you walk by her and don't pet her.

However, she is very aggressive with other rabbits. I was recently trying to see if I could bond her to Baxter as he just lost his partner. But she would get super nasty any time I tried to introduce her. She would get her self so worked up that she would start attacking me as well. I have to put her away and let her calm down for the evening.

Also, with my other pair, if I put my hands in their cage after cleaning another bunny's scent glad or smelling like another bun too strongly, they will attack me as well.

I would try giving the new bunny a day to calm down. Change your clothes and wash your hands well and try again. See if perhaps he was just upset from the other rabbit.

-Dawn

He still hasnt been there very long and I would give him more time to settle in. He probably is a bit nervous still.
If you let the aggression show him you react to it drastically then it puts him dominent then it won't change. Try a squirt bottle and get some treats. Don't make moves to love on him...he probably did want to be pet but something spooked him if he lashed out that quickly with your wife.

This doesn't mean he is an aggressive bunny, it could be something small that with time will change.

Do you know anything about his past and how he was treated?

I have always thought of biting as defensive rather than offensive.:) Doesn't help much when there is a bunn hanging off your hand though! lol

I would suggest wearing gloves for time being when you have to go in his house...if he finds that biting you works...he will keep doing it. Hubby and I tend to adopt aggressive bunns since they are the hardest to find new homes for...our best way of dealing with it is to ignore it. (again with the rabbit hanging off your hand...I know!) When we bring home an aggressive bunn we wear gloves for the first little while until they get the point that biting isn't going to work. If they find something tried and true they will just keep doing it. So you take away that option.

I would also suggest washing your hands before interacting with him so no other scents are on them. And the best way we have found for dealing with aggressive bunns is to keep them off balance. Bunns like schedules and everything in its place...we will constantly re-arrange their "stuff" so its in a different place. And last...treats and loads of interaction with him. We haven't found a bunn yet that couldn't be "changed"...it just takes time, understandingand patience!

Good Luck!:)

Danielle

I would just say give it time. God knows what the poor little guy went thru before he landed with you guys. He hasn't been at your place for too long and everything is still new to him.

He is probably unhappy about always being moved around. It will take him a while to realize that he is now home.

This will be quick since I am on break, but I just wanted to update and say after the pen fiasco he was running loose and WOULD NOT let me get near enough to him to put back, and when I did he would growl. I was afraid to be bitten but eventually I got him herded back into the pen.

Same deal this morning when my wife let him out for out time (just opening the door, not picking him up, nothing) and he chased her, and bit her again. Of course she is not as used to dealing with rabbits but she said he was making noises at her. She refuses to go downstairs now. As far as I am aware he is still running loose in our basement, and I'll have to get him myself when I get home.

What do I do, just NOT let him out???

I'll write more when I get home and get the situation under control.

I agree with other posters about the smell of the other rabbits might be making him upset. Also it sounds like he is very frightened of you and lashing out to keep you away. FOr a few days, I would actually keep him in his pen if you can... how big is it? and be very careful when putting down his food etc and entering his pen. Sit outside his pen with him for a bit and just sit there, so he can start to trust you. When you let him out, don't even try to pet him for a bit. Just sit with him, if you can...

Is there ANY way you can get him to a vet for a check up? It is also possible that there is an underlying problem... maybe he is in pain. It definitely sounds like he needs more time, and will take a lot of patience...

we had a little Dutch named Bonnie that was fine around me and wanted attention, but, if Nancy came into the room, she switched to attack mode. Peter used to be very aggressive, especially when I was trying to clean his hutch. I didn't mind the growls or scratching, but when he bit the first time I snatched him up, rolled him on his back and held him pinned to the ground for a couple of minutes and spoke to him telling him I didn't like biting. After a couple of "bonding" sessions he stopped the biting and all the other behavior and he is now really affectionate and really likes getting rubbed. The real problem is when you have a rabbit that has learned to bite as a means of protection--very hard to break that habit--use gloves and plan on bleeding some too. Took more than two years to break Mr B of biting--and you couldn't predict when he would do it with any certainty. Patience, gloves, and not letting the rabbit be the alpha in the relationship--I've always felt the best way to get along with pets is to treat them like another of their kind would, with me at the top or alpha spot. Not all bunnies are going to be like the ideal you want and not all are trainable. Stewart II is called "crabben puff"--we've had him since he was a kit--6 years and counting, and he's the crabbiest little rabbit on earth and will not change--but, he doesn't bite anymore. Wish you good luck.

It sounds to me like he's getting territorial of his new territory. I definitely suggest you invest in some good leather gloves and then show him that you're not going to be afraid of him, that you will put your hands in his cage, particularly if you're bringing food. If he bites, let him know it hurts by squealing and pushing his head down to show him that you're dominant.

Basically, take the necessary measures to protect yourself first and foremost, then work on changing his behavior.

Good luck!

If hehasnot yet been neutered this could be one of the major causes of the aggression. Hormonal behavior and aggression often cease entirely after the male is neutered. (usually it takesabout 4 weeks after surgery for all hormonal activity to cease)
if he is already neutered and/or is past the adolescent stage then you have a behavioral problem.

We know absolutely nothing about his past, not even how old he is. He is full grown and has been neutered about 8 months. So maybe 2 years?

He has not improved or calmed down. He has since bitten my wife two more times and myself once more (I'm faster than her still at avoiding bites). He huffs and puffs constantly. Last night he opened his pen while we were watching a movie, and literally my wife was on the back of the couch and screamed because he was out. He seems to have a particular dislike of her. Now he is confined to his pen and only his pen, and we've devised a system of watering/feeding so no one will get bitten doing that chore either. Cleaning his pen is a bit harder... I have to do it with two people and let him loose in the basement while one person keeps him at bay (usually using a broom to gently push him away) and I hurry and clean, then we herd him back into the pen and lock it up.

I'm not sure why the other rabbits would upset him so because at the location he had rabbits beside him and in cages on top of his. It's not like he's never smelled other rabbits before. Could be the dogs, he doesn't seem to like them at all.

A vet visit revealed there is nothing wrong with him physically.

I'm at a loss. Frankly I am too afraid to handle him and I don't feel experienced enough to deal with his obviously major issues.

Latest posts

Back