Behavior change

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hleigh99

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have had a wonderful rabbit up until recently. He is a little over ayear old and fixed. About a month ago I got my first real job, and havenext to no time with him anymore. Since then he has begun destroyingeverything. He pulls the carpet up in chunks, and as a result I can nolonger trust him to be out without very close supervision and a waterbottle close at hand. Someone said the answer was another rabbit forcompany, but does this sound like a good idea to the rest of you.Before all these changes he was very protective of me, and I can't seehim liking having more competition around. I don't know how I can makehim content anymore. I would greatly appreciate any ideas.

Maybe getting a friend for him to keep himcompany will help. I know when Mocha is feeling lonely andwants attention she will start chewing and shredding everything shecomes in contact with! but she calms down when I start petting her. Somaybe he is just craving some attention

It does sound like he is fussing from lack ofattention. Mine will do that too sometimes if they feel theyhaven't gotten their due share. A friend would keep himcompany through the day, but if you don't have time for one rabbit thentwo rabbits that need bonding will be even worse. It mighthelp if there's a rabbit rescue near you that can help with thebonding. Some will actually take the rabbits for a week ortwo and bond them at a fosterer's house, which would be completely newand neutral territory. It's worth checking out if you do wantto get your bun a friend.

You could also just try distraction techniques. Give him newtoys and rearrange his old stuff. Lots of boxes to dig in,newspaper to shred, etc.

Thank you both for your comments. Would anyonehave any pointers on how to choose his friend? Last night I moved hiscage in my room, so we can talk when I am getting ready for work.

By the way, I LOVE the pictures. Beamer looks like bbgrl20's.

Like naturestee mentioned about some of therabbit rescues will do the bonding process for you those are the onesthat also offer "bunny dating". Which is you bring your bunny and theybring in different bunnys to see how they will interact, because in theend it is your bun who chooses who it likes for a partner. so that isthe best way to choose a mate for your bun, do some bunny dating:D

And if beamer looks like mocha the he must be a cutie pie!!!:wink:

I took Beamer to a rabbit rescue last nightafter your suggestions, where we tried speed dating. He chose his newpartner. He even stood on the poor guys head and they even layed downbeside each other. I was very impressed. Beamer even approved of mescratching the new bunny's head. So in about a week after the new guyhas been fixed and healed, I'll get to bring him home. Thanks for yourhelp.

I have also been trying to keep Beamer entertained by moving things around and creating new toys.

Thats great!! Having two buns is double thelove! I just brought home a mate for Mocha as well today, but have tokeep them separated for about a month. Congrats on your new edition toyour family, you have to put up some pics when you get him!!:bunnydance:

Sounds great! Congrats on the new bunny. What's he like?

I don't know if you know much about bonding, but you should probably read this:

http://www.mybunnies.com/bonding.htm

Just to help things go smoothly. Beamer may get territorialonce the new rabbit is in "his" territory, so it's best to go slowly.

Best of luck!

Back