Behavior Change over Night

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verity

Reaction score
4 days ago (Monday), Edee, my 11 week old rabbit, stopped letting us pick her up.

When we go to get her she runs off, and if we grab her she scratches and tries to leap out of our hands.

She literally changed over night as up until Monday she was always more then happy to be picked up, showing no struggle what so ever. Then Monday night, my boyfriend went to pick her up to put her to bed, and she ran off. Shes been doing it every time we try to grab her now.

We still do it the same way (one hand under bottom, the other around the chest, then held securely to the chest) but she just puts up a struggle.

Shes not scared of us, as far as I can tell, as she will still hop over to us and climb all over us. She sits and lets us stroke her, but if she sences us picking her up, she’s off.

My boyfriend and I went back to work Monday, his mum passed away a week before my birthday (when we got her) so he’s basically been off work, ever since we got her, and ive been off work for my birthday. so she hasn’t had the normal amount of attention throughtout the day, as she was used.

Could this be whats affected her?

As in, I guess it could be pent up energy? where she just wants to run around rather then be picked up and hugged, or put back in the hutch. But she ran around loads last night, and then lay down on the end of the bed for ages, but when I went to get her to put her to bed, she still struggled.

or is she just becoming more conifdent with us, and has decided to stand up for herself and do what she wants?

Looking into rabbit behaviour I understand that it can take some time to gain rabbits trust.
(thanks for the fantastic write up ‘bonding with your bunny’ )

She seems relaxed around us. Shes spreads out on the bed next to us, or around the room

0ac47a2a.jpg

Shes happy to have a bath infront of us, and She will happy to sit on me out of free will (mainly on my shoulder or spread across my legs), so I think she associates me with positivness,

So do I just have to get he associating being picked up with positivness? Or could someone pin point what happened, so maybe I can correct it?

I just find it odd that she changed so dramatically over night!!!

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer
:D

Nope, she's getting used to her surroundings and you and boyfriend. You are gaining her trust so she's more outgoing. And doesn't want to go back to her crate because she is enjoying her time out and your company. This is great news!

But don't take any of her sass. Though you are going through the bonding time, you need to show her who's boss. Keep doing what doing. The struggling while being picked up will go away the more you work with her.

Suggestion: Talk to her before you pick her up. Tell her what you want and then go for the pick up. I've done that will all my bunnies. They still run away, but know eventually they need to go back to their crate. It's getting better each time. Just make sure you hold them securely to your body when they struggle like this. If I didn't do that with mine, they be nerved out and on top of my head.

It's all normal. She's gorgeous. You both will find that happy medium.

K :)

Thank you so much for the reply!! You don't know how relieved i am! I couldn't help but think I might be doing something wrong.
Thats actually made my day

I will deffintly try talking to her.

Thanks again!

My bun does not like being picked up, and would run away from me if I tried when I first got him, or hide under something so it was impossible to catch him when he was out and took me hours to herd him into his cage.

I started picking him up at random- be it while he was in his cage, or out running around, holding him for a second and talking to him and them putting him down and giving him a little treat and lots of pets. He stopped associating me picking him up with having to go back home. I'd pick him up and put him on the couch, or just put him back down, and praised him so when it was time to go back in his cage, he wasn't expecting it. It seems to have worked so far.

good luck with you bun! and cute picture of her all sprawled out on the bed!

Latest posts

Back