Behavior after Neutering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquidtravel

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 6 month old flemish giant named Franklin. I have finally been able to get him neutered. This was last Thursday. Before his surgery, he ran around quite a lot, jumped on the couch, always wanted to be petted, etc. He was also very territorial and kind of aggressive in certain situations.

Now, only though it has been 5 days, he really doesn't come out of his habitat even though the door is open all the time. He seems to be a little scared of the flooring. It is faux wood so he slides a round because he can't get a real grip on the floor. Previously he didn't seem to mind. He just ran around and slide like a race car driver taking a sharp corner. Now, when he does leave his cage, as soon as he starts to slide, he turns around and runs back to his cage. Just today he is letting me pet him again.

I am just assuming that he was in pain after surgery and wanted to be left alone which is to be expected. I am also assuming that when he starts to slide on the floor that it might be causing him some pain due to the surgery.

He has a healthy appetite as well. In fact, he is eating more now than before the surgery. He is also sleeping a lot more during the day and at night, I don't really hear him moving around like I before the surgery.

Any concerns I should consider?

thanks so much.

I think it took two weeks for my bunny to start moving like crazy and then we had the bumpy ride of a hormonal bunny. It takes around 8 weeks post-neuter until he will settle down and be normal again.

It can take time to heal but after a week my bucks started to move around more. I have two neutered bucks.

One of my bunnies became aggressive during his post-neuter, which was a big shock hearing him growl and bite. When he had never done it his whole life. I neutered him when he was 2 years and had him since he was 8 weeks old. So the post-neuter period can be a bit of a challenge 😅

I think it took two weeks for my bunny to start moving like crazy and then we had the bumpy ride of a hormonal bunny. It takes around 8 weeks post-neuter until he will settle down and be normal again.

It can take time to heal but after a week my bucks started to move around more. I have two neutered bucks.

One of my bunnies became aggressive during his post-neuter, which was a big shock hearing him growl and bite. When he had never done it his whole life. I neutered him when he was 2 years and had him since he was 8 weeks old. So the post-neuter period can be a bit of a challenge 😅
How long did it take your bunny to lose the aggression after nueter? I want to get mine fixed but I'm afraid he'll lose his sweet personality

How long did it take your bunny to lose the aggression after nueter? I want to get mine fixed but I'm afraid he'll lose his sweet personality

My boy took over a month to calm down but you can never know if your bunny will react that way. But always good to know it can happen and not be discourage if it happens ☺️

Did your DVM give meloxicam for his post-op recovery instructions?

Are you able to provide a chew-resistant low-weave carpet pad to prevent sliding on the faux wood flooring? Allowing more comfort?

Do the incision lines from his neuter look okay?

my input w/b: Kindly give him time to adjust and trust again. Hopefully he was handled well during his surgical stay. Thanks for getting him neutered! Glad to know he's eating and makin' marbles.

Experiences:
1) The duo from an old-tech farm were more kissy prior to appropriate-aged alteration surgeries. They will groom each other now, and the s/female grooms my hubby rather than me. She likes him better.

2) One of our spayed girls (abandoned and captured) always took a liking to hubby, and groomed him regularly. Not me, until she got older.

3) Our n/male 6 y.o. still is grumpy, and protective of his space, but hunkers down for love and "squeaks", vocalizes, when you stroke his head & lavish on love, or hold him for lap brushing. N/Male harlequin is very talented w/his Grunting vocabulary.

Also depends if you are stroking a spot where they feel extra comforted and want to thank you by polishing your arm, neck, face, etc.
One of our elder s/females was at the DVM, and reached up to put her paws on my chest.

4) Personalities and their ability to groom their human will vary. Hope this helps!

https://rabbit.org/post-surgical-aftercare/
https://www.houserabbitga.com/spay-neuter-rabbit-post-opp

Most of the time when you get a rabbit "fixed" they will become aggressive for a couple of weeks, after that you should be good and they should lose the habits that they had before neutering.

Back