Behave for grooming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruckusluvr

Reaction score
How can I get my rescue french angora who has been abused to sit still for grooming? It is proving very hard for me to keep him brushed. What can I do to get him used to being handled?
he is really sweet and friendly, but everything has to be on HIS terms.

Do you know any of his history? Most angora breeders use a blower to open up the coat and help prevent matting. Brushing takes out a lot of the coat and is generally not considered to be the best way to groom them. Angoras start getting blown very early and they do get used to it. Blowing takes about 5-10 minutes 2-3 times a week.
I have a giant angora. I got a small shop vac that has a blower port for about $35 at Walmart. I use a small spinning table (from Ikea) covered with a toilet seat cover as a grooming table. My angora lays down on it and doesn't move much when I am blowing her. I can move her around with actually having to move her, I just have to spin tha table.

I would get a small folding table with a mat on it for traction. Put him on it and start brushing. If/when he moves, gently put him back where you want him. You can give him a small treat or bit of pellets to keep him in one spot. If you are firm and consistant, he will hold still for grooming.

yes, Charmin was an outdoor hutch rabbit who belonged to a 8 -10 yr old boy. the boy used to actually bite the rabbit. he would also yank its fur out through the cage bars. the rabbit is touchy about me messing with his fur much.
I am a dog groomer, and i have an awesome blower that isnt even loud at all. I think i would be perfect to use. BUT wouldnt it be a hassle for me to drive him over there 2 or 3 times a week?

of course i am not showing him, and I could honestly careless what his coat looks like. I just of course do not want him matted because its not healthy.

He actually let me shave him when i first got him. he is good for shaving with clippers, but not for brushing. or nails....
bunny burrito wouldnt even work! neither did flipping him over on his back between my legs.

Latest posts

Back