Beginning of ear mites or just dirt?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 31452

Reaction score
I am wondering about the foster bun I took in yesterday. She isn't bothering with her ears, but when I examined them to be thorough - I see a very small center of crusted build up deep down ...not yellow - more like crushed pellets & it does seem to bother her when I mess with her ears. She came in with another bun, and his ears are clear, though they weren't sharing an enclosure. They were both kept in a shed. There isn't any sign of anything anywhere else. Should I err on the side of caution and be treating her as though she has ear mites? I have tried to find photos of what an early ear mite infection might look like ....but all I find online are the horribly advanced cases. I actually have to shine a light down her ear to see what I am seeing. AND...... How close can she be to another rabbit. (in an enclosure next to each other as long as they cannot make contact with each other????

Especially without any picture, it's hard to make any conclusions around what you're see. Ideally, a foster bun should have seen a vet before seeing you, so I'd check in if the rescue had the rabbits seen prior to you taking them. If not, ask if they can cover you having them assessed based on observations you have on the ears.

Yeah, its pretty impossible to get a picture of where it is - even if the rabbit was super cooperative. I was hoping to see someone ELSES picts and be able to compare. I'm pretty certain is IS indeed ear mite dirt - but would have like to be able to compare to some photos. We have a lot of urgent situations (rabbits on roadways etc), other abandoments, that are rescued . There is definitely a shortage of help at the vets as well as arranging transportation TO the vet. Unfortunately the buns don't usually get seen until prior to their neuter/spays unless there is a blatant issue. In an ideal world - we would be able to get them all immediately assessed with a vet.

Back