Before You Buy That Easter Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
Before buying that cute and cuddly easter bunnyin the pet store, there are many thingsyou should read andconsider. I've seen so many rabbits come through the rescue I volunteerfor who have been 'set free', abandoned,or turned over to therescuebecause their children lose interest. Just months aftereaster each year, when the bunnies have outgrown their 'cute' stage, weseetoo many unwanted bunnies become abandoned, homeless, andturned over to shelters and pounds.

The House Rabbit Society atwww.rabbit.org has many wonderfullinks for those considering that easter time rabbit.

Here are the links below for those interested:

http://www.rabbit.org/easter/

The Make Mine Chocolate Campaign:

http://www.makeminechocolate.org/

Why children and Easter don't mix:

http://www.rabbit.org/easter/flyer/childstory.pdf

http://www.rabbit.org/easter/flyer/flyer3.doc

And lastly, for anyone who may ever consider giving their rabbit over to the pound in hopes of it going to a better home:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-7/brandolino-poem.html

I remember Easter Sunday
It was colorful and fun
The new life that I'd begun
In my new cage.

I was just a little thing
When they brought me from the store
And they put me on the floor
In my cage.

They would take me out to play
Love and pet me all the time
Then at day's end I would climb
In my cage.

But as days and weeks went by
I saw less of them it seemed
Of their loving touch I dreamed
In my cage.

In the night outside their house
I felt sad and so neglected
Often scared and unprotected
In my cage.

In the dry or rainy weather
Sometimes hotter sometimes colder
I just sat there growing older
In my cage.

The cat and dog raced by me
Playing with each other only
While I sat there feeling lonely
In my cage.

Upon the fresh green grass
Children skipped and laughed all day
I could only watch them play
From my cage.

They used to take me out
And let me scamper in the sun
I no longer get to run
In my cage.

Once a cute and cuddly bunny
Like a little ball of cotton
Now I'm grown up and forgotten
In my cage.

I don't know what went wrong
At the home I did inhabit
I just grew to be a rabbit
In my cage.

But they've brought me to the pound
I was once loved and enjoyed
Now I wait to be destroyed
In my cage.

MyBoyHarper wrote:
Before buying that cute and cuddly easter bunny in the petstore, there are many thingsyou should read and consider.I've seen so many rabbits come through the rescue I volunteer for whohave been 'set free', abandoned,or turned over to therescuebecause their children lose interest. Just months aftereaster each year, when the bunnies have outgrown their 'cute' stage, weseetoo many unwanted bunnies become abandoned, homeless, andturned over to shelters and pounds.

The House Rabbit Society athttp://www.rabbit.org has manywonderful links for those considering that easter time rabbit.

Here are the links below for those interested:

http://www.rabbit.org/easter/

The Make Mine Chocolate Campaign:

http://www.makeminechocolate.org/

Why children and Easter don't mix:

http://www.rabbit.org/easter/flyer/childstory.pdf

http://www.rabbit.org/easter/flyer/flyer3.doc

And lastly, for anyone who may ever consider giving their rabbit over to the pound in hopes of it going to a better home:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-7/brandolino-poem.html

I remember Easter Sunday
It was colorful and fun
The new life that I'd begun
In my new cage.

I was just a little thing
When they brought me from the store
And they put me on the floor
In my cage.

They would take me out to play
Love and pet me all the time
Then at day's end I would climb
In my cage.

But as days and weeks went by
I saw less of them it seemed
Of their loving touch I dreamed
In my cage.

In the night outside their house
I felt sad and so neglected
Often scared and unprotected
In my cage.

In the dry or rainy weather
Sometimes hotter sometimes colder
I just sat there growing older
In my cage.

The cat and dog raced by me
Playing with each other only
While I sat there feeling lonely
In my cage.

Upon the fresh green grass
Children skipped and laughed all day
I could only watch them play
From my cage.

They used to take me out
And let me scamper in the sun
I no longer get to run
In my cage.

Once a cute and cuddly bunny
Like a little ball of cotton
Now I'm grown up and forgotten
In my cage.

I don't know what went wrong
At the home I did inhabit
I just grew to be a rabbit
In my cage.

But they've brought me to the pound
I was once loved and enjoyed
Now I wait to be destroyed
In my cage.

WOW, MBH, look in Rosie's thread, "Look what I'm puttin up", I postedthis same poem there! Somehow after posting it (did alot ofediting in Word) the poem's form changed completely. Rosie isworking on fixing it for me.:D

MyBoyHarper wrote:
Before buying that cute and cuddly easter bunny in the petstore, there are many thingsyou should read and consider.I've seen so many rabbits come through the rescue I volunteer for whohave been 'set free', abandoned,or turned over to therescuebecause their children lose interest. Just months aftereaster each year, when the bunnies have outgrown their 'cute' stage, weseetoo many unwanted bunnies become abandoned, homeless, andturned over to shelters and pounds.
Thank you MyBoyHarper, this post made me cry because we found my boyGandalf right after Easter in the parking lot. Spread the word, bunniesare not throw away pets!

Krissa, that poem made me cry when I first sawit. I'm thinking about *accidentally* dropping a few "MakeMine Chocolate" flyers in the local petstore, hee hee.

bravo!!! this post is awesome. . .

i am currently working on a letter to the editor that i am going to send to our paper up here. . .

anything to help the situation. . .

yeah, i thought so too.

about 4 years ago, my mom and i were driving down the road. . . alongside it was a medium size rabbit that had been hit and killed. it wasobviously a domesticated rabbit (it looked like a broken blacksomething). . . it was maybe 6 weeks after easter. . . my mom looked atme and said "you think we should write a letter to the newspaper askingwhoever tossed aside their rabbit to please come bring it's body homeand give it a proper barial"?

i never wrote that letter, and it kills me, we ended up going back forthe body and laying it to rest at our house. . .i breed for many yearsand only sold maybe 7 rabbits as pets around that time, and every ownerwas giving a complete interview before even being told i had rabbits tosell. . .

so finally last week i started writing, it will take another few days of work. . .but i will let ya'll know when it is done. . .

That poem has gotten to me for a very long time.Maybe I am just overly sensitive, or maybe all of you feel the same asI do. But I can almost feel the pain of each bunny that endures thestory of that poem. Being left, abandoned and with no contact, lonelyand scared with no shelter, innocent and having no choice but to liveout the horrible life that he or she was borninto. Only tohaveits life ended by either being euthanized, or dyingscared, alone, and in pain out in the wild after being 'set free' or insolitude and neglected.

My newest rescue Chance (which I'm sure almost all of you know by now)has touched my heart in a way no other rabbit has. Harper is still myheart bunny, and always will be. He was 5 months old when I got him,and was going to be snake food. However, as said, he was young andsurprisingly healthy at the time I got him.

Chance means so much to me, and just has a different story. He's fullgrown, and we think he may be an older bunny. He is/was so sick when Igot him from the pound after he was 'set free' from uncaring andabusive owners. He was in pitiful condition and we don't know how manyyears he was forced to live out his life like that. With abuse andneglect, and painful medical problems.

I look into his eyes every chance I get throughout the day, and all Isee in his eyes is love, compassion, and happiness at having a secondchance at life. Most of all, I see thankfulness.

Unlike Chance, Harper, and other bunnies that are rescued, there aretoo many that aren't. Too many that are left to live in neglect andsolitude, or to fend for themselves. Too many more are euthanized andtheir lives cut short, all because people are too uneducated aboutrabbits and their care, and uncaring that it's a living, breathinganimal that feels pain and emotion.

Very nice post!

A couple friends of mine are working on getting a couple differentschools in the area (like my little sister's elementry school and myfriend's high school) to send home papers around Easter time for thechildren/parents to read. I realize that most would ignore it though.But I want to help however I can. =]

Thanks, MBH, that almost sent me into tears.

People just don't understand these sweet, smart, compassionate andforgiving (as in Chance's case, as I'm sure w/ manyothers)animals at all. They are so sweet that Ijust don't understand, and never will, how people can just do what theydo to them. What did they do toyou?????????????????????????? No offense to anyone here, but,people will put up with dogs that do bad things (bite, mull people,bark constantly, smell, drool, jump on people that don't like them,etc.), but are not discarded and treated like crap like sweet bunniesare, sure, some probably are, but not to the extent that bunnies andother small animals are.:(

Let's all get the word out this Easter!:mrsthumper:

I just sent email's to youth groups around thecounty and to local elementry schools. Easter might not be for anothermonth or so, but I guess it's never to early to get a headstart on it.:D

I'm going to print out a bunch of those "MakeMine Chocolate" flyers and post them EVERYWHERE. Starbucks and littlecoffee shops are a good place to post. I am going to post ANYWHERE thatI can. I am even going to place them all over the pet stores. I am inno way scared to tape one right up on the bunny cages at Petco, even ifemployees are watching:). People need to know!

- Amy

I'm going to be putting these on the doors of my neighbors...and I've taped them up on our windows, too. :)

000_0616.jpg

000_0615.jpg

:D

Grocery stores are a good place to post themto. Grocery stores in my area usually have community noticeboards and "for sale" boards.

It might be a good idea to write a letter to the newspaper too.

Its so sad that things like this go on. When will people learn.

This year i like to think im helping a little, imaddopting a bunny in may when i finish 6th form, so so hopefuly i canrescue one of the unwanted easter bunnys.

XxX :anotherbun

I just printed off 10 copiesof the "Make MineChocolate" flyers. I am going to Petsmart and Walmart in an hour topost a couple. Basically where ever I go from now until Easter, I willbe leaving a trail of these flyers behind.

*feels good to possibly change a few parent's minds about giving their children a real bunny for Easter*.

As long as I save one little bunny's life, I will be happy....but I will never know if it was my flyers that saved them!

:D

- Amy

Latest posts

Back