Beetroot??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebeccaUK

Reaction score
I read on a list of safe foods that bunnies can eat beetroot so I bought a bunch yesterday but do you know whether it should be given to them cooked or uncooked? I know that for humans to eat it we should really boil it up to soften the flesh but I wondered if anyone had fed beetroot to their bunnies - were the bunnies ok with it?

Thanks

It would beraw.

Beet Greens are oftenrecommended, notthe root. Beets are pretty high in sugar, so they'd be a 'treat', fed sparingly. Not too much at once and not too often.

From the Carrot Cafe:

"Carrots and root vegetables are high in sugar and may cause cecal problems or gas in some rabbits."

Curious to see if you bunny likes them. Let us know!

The buns loved the beetroot!!! It was organic so I just gave it a little wash before I fed it to them and then chopped it up into cubes. I've been giving them 2 or 3 cubes a day since I posted and they love it - they go mad for it. The only side effect is a slightly reddish urine a couple of hours after it's been eaten.

Back