Been Awhile...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toby is having small mini seizures continuously for the last day. He will be sitting them bam, flops over seizes for a few seconds then gets up and continues about his business until it happens again. I think I have seen it about 5 or 6 times in the last hour. What do you guys think is going on? He has been on panacur for 5 days now.

I'm terribly sorry to hear that. I wish I could be of more help, but I'm just afraid I don't know enough about it.

I appreciate your support :)

I've never seen anything like it, so I am afraid that this is going to end badly for him. My hubs just freaked out saying that these seizures are going to kill him, and of course I have nothing to say. I am the stay at home bun mom who can only sit and watch and hope it passes quickly, its really hard watching this continue. I feel terribly for Toby and wonder if we are doing him a disservice by hoping he will pull through.

We are calling the vet tomorrow to see what might be happening, hoping we get some answers.

The vet called and now we are putting Toby on Phenobarbitol (sp?) and off the Panacur. Apparently they both can cause liver damage so only one will be necessary. He has been having "cluster" seizures, I can't think of any other way of putting it. He acts normal and then he either has a seizure or a major whole body spasm...they literally last a split second, his whole body tenses up, his face contorts and he falls to the side if he is upright, and then its over as fast as it starts, and he acts like nothing happened and continues doing what he was before the episode. And this happens continuously throughout the day, some are as frequent as a few seconds apart. I have been reading up on seizures and from what I have read, this is really bad...seizures heat up the core temp and he can essentially fry his brain from overheating...if this is not accurate (which I hope its not) please someone correct me. The vet also said it was not good, but did not elaborate...

Sorry, I can't be of any help but wanted to let you know I'm praying for Toby. I hope the phenobarbital will help. Many human epileptics are treated with it, hope it will help Toby. Bunny hugs to you & Toby.

The vet called and now we are putting Toby on Phenobarbitol (sp?) and off the Panacur. Apparently they both can cause liver damage so only one will be necessary. He has been having "cluster" seizures, I can't think of any other way of putting it. He acts normal and then he either has a seizure or a major whole body spasm...they literally last a split second, his whole body tenses up, his face contorts and he falls to the side if he is upright, and then its over as fast as it starts, and he acts like nothing happened and continues doing what he was before the episode. And this happens continuously throughout the day, some are as frequent as a few seconds apart. I have been reading up on seizures and from what I have read, this is really bad...seizures heat up the core temp and he can essentially fry his brain from overheating...if this is not accurate (which I hope its not) please someone correct me. The vet also said it was not good, but did not elaborate...

I know of Rabbits on Phenobarbitol and they are fine. If what they wrote in the book is true I have two cousins who have no brains left from how many seizures they have! Phenobarbitol will help. Did you read my other post about seizures? I had that info as well as another medicine in tandem they can give and he should be ok. If you can't find the thread let me know. This is not the end. There are tons of animals and people who have unknown seizures that they treat with Pheno and they are normal.

Vanessa

Concering the seizures:
My cousin and some other friends have been on Phenobarbital. It can be used both in humans and rabbits. In Rabbits they use the elixar/liquid. You can also ask your vet about Potassium Bromide. It can be used in conjunction with Phenobarb for a better effect to control seizures. Phenobarbital has been used for over 20 years for seizures and epilipesy treatment and works pretty well. Please speak to the vet about Phenobarb and the Potassium Bromide combo.

Keep us posted and let me know what is going on.

Vanessa

Alright, so a week on pheno...seems to be lessening the severity of the seizures but still not entirely sure. He continues to have them when trying to urinate him and butt bathe him. We can't avoid that tho. But we have discovered a way to avoid being bitten or him biting himself when having seizures, put a cloth under his chin so when we convulses and bites down, he gets the cloth instead of skin.

His tummy is always so distended from a full bladder, I'm afraid to apply any pressure to his belly for fear of rupturing his bladder, but he has to be miserable with such fullness, plus he just dribbles urine all the time and he smells bad and his skin is so sensitive from scald, so I have to keep trying to relieve his bladder. Any thoughts or advice on this?

His leg is just about permanently splayed out, I hope it's not painful and he hops almost entirely sideways. Poor Bun. But his appetite is still good and he seems to be happy (enough?)

Back