Been awhile since i've been here....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmfh

Reaction score
Hello. Haven't been online for a long while but me and my bun are doing well. Took Cleo in for her summer grooming. Nail cut and shaving of the private parts, which brought a question to my mind. I always assumed that bunnies groomed themselves like cats. But when I take cleo in they always have to clip some tiny mats away from her privates. Is this normal or do I have a very lazy bun? She was mad for a few hours but she likes having shorter nails lol. Now if I could just get her to enjoy being brushed!!!! She looks like she has mange right now. Oh and, she only got a tiny bit, but who knew buns liked spanish rice, her lips were orange lol.

Rabbits are known to be good groomers, but you always have exceptions. Bucks, as they get older, don't usually do as good of a job staying clean as does, but I have a white doe who isn't too good either. Urine stains on her white fur...reminds me of my daughter's goats. :p

Lots of long-haired cats need to be shaved regularly too. Sometimes the grooming is just too much for them. Does Cleo have long hair?

I try to keep Barley's nails clipped myself, but I'm afraid of those big back feet! Usually he gets a good clipping once a year at his annual vet check.

She's just a short haired lion mane, but she really blows her coat every spring and fall. I've tried in the past to wrap her up and do her nails myself but she gets highly upset and I end up in bandages lol. My groomer told me that is is not healthy for a rabbits coat to have them shaved but i'm not sure how valid that information is. Right now I just wait till she's sleeping and sneak up on her and get about 3 or 4 swipes of the brush before she growls and runs off.

I think mmfh means that she LOOKS liek she has mange because of the bit they had to chop off her lol that's kind of cute. it was kind of cute when Rocky had a piece shaved off him when he was neutered, he looked so funny. it didn't bother him at all, I just found it amusing. Looked like he went to a crappy barber who slipped with the clippers :p

About the brushing, I used to take Rocky outside to play on the grass and when he came over to me to check what I was doing I would sneakily run the brush over once or twice then pat him as well. he didn't really notice and I would let him smell and suss out the brush also so he got used to it. I think he thought I was just patting him and he stopped being scared of the brush after a while.

Back