Bedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

19reedar13

Reaction score
Is it okay if I use puppy pee mats?? If she eats it will it like hurt her because what if she tries to eat it and I can't stop her?? Just wondering plus won't carpet flooring get soaked from pee and stink thanks

I have read posts from some people on this forum that do use the puppy pads, but honestly, I don't see the point of it. When my rabbits were in cages, I didn't put anything down on the plastic floor. They were litter trained pretty fast except for a few poops now and then that I just cleaned up once a day and washed the cage bottom and litter box once a week with vinegar and water. I have them in some home-made hutches now with floors made out of rubber mats that I clean the same way.

I use puppy pee pads, because one of my boys is a wee bit incontinent and I don't want them standing in pee puddles if they have an accident. Pee pads are so easy to clean up and replace!

Neither of my boys have tried to eat them apart from the odd nibble. If she does ingest a bit it should not hurt her, but of course if you notice her eating large amounts of it you should remove them immediately.

When we first got our buns we just used newspaper but that gets pretty moldy fast. We now liter train then and use the care fresh stuff. Puppy pads are cotton right? ( been awhile since I used one of those lol) I know cotton is safe to use with buns as I had to use some in the nesting for my baby buns.

I primarily use fleece, but also have towels for some. Using a towel under fleece can mean that the liquid gets drawn down into the towel, so the rabbit isn't sitting on a wet blanket all day. You would need to change it out every day or 2, depending on how much your rabbit pees. A litter trained rabbit won't need this as much, other than for a soft floor. It can be washed easily as well, do isn't expensive in the long run.

Back