Bedding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilythsMommy

Reaction score
So right now we have cedar chip bedding. (I know, I know its super bad for them, I didn't find out until after i bought it) But what kind of bedding is best? Ive heard hay but its expensive and i don't want her to eat where she poops. Seems unsanitary. My friend said to use shredded paper, but i worry that that would be bad too. They have the paper pulp but that's super expensive, specially cause she has a large cage and I'm really anal about keeping it as clean as possible all the time.
Shed rather be in her litter box laying in that pellet litter.
What should i do?

In my rabbit's cages, I leave it clean, no bedding, and they usually go lay up on the top floor and relax up there. Some rabbits like to lay on towels, but in my experience (well Buster mostly) they love cold hard floor. Phoebe prefers carpet or cardboard. I find it a lot easier for litter box training and just overall (one less thing to clean) to not have bedding, for a while I bought the Carefresh natural. Got expensive after a while though.

We use Kiln dried pine (PetsPick) from WalMart for their litter boxes in their hutches and shred newspaper by hand for some of the pans around the room as it works for litter and they love to play with it and it's okay for them to chew--soy ink and cellulose. GET RID OF THE CEDAR ASAP!

Shed rather be in her litter box laying in that pellet litter.
I've just got bunnies and am working out the same issues. They like to sit in their litter box. I got another box for their "bedroom" and put that carefresh stuff in there (given katielovesleos advice, I might try a towel instead). At first they used it as a litter box, but now it is just completely clean inside so I think they have designated it as "bed". I've taken all the bedding out of their bedroom and bought a cheap carpet mat to put down instead (so it's got the carpet, with litter box on top, bedding only in the box). So far, they haven't chewed it or wee-ed on it. Downstairs, they also sit in the litter box and they are also using the wire-floored bit to wee on. I'm just letting them sort out how they want to use the facilities. Maybe just try a litter box and a "bed" and see if they are happy with that and don't worry about any bedding elsewhere. I'd like to get rid of the bedding. It's horrible stuff.

Get rid of the cedar shavings ASAP! I started out my bunny on that not knowing the damage it could do and she got sick. I had to have her on meds, and my vet didn't even know why she was sick...until I found this website. Luckily I read on here how dangerous it can be and switched it immediately...she's been fine since.

I wanted to find a cheap bedding and settled on Equine Fresh pine pellets. Pine isn't usually good for bunnies but this stuff is. A 40 pound bag is usually $5-$6. Can't beat the price! My local Tractor Supply store no longer carries this name brand, but now has their own off-brand and it works just as well.

It doesn't have a strong smell, and isn't very dusty either. I would never use anything else. :)

Good luck,
Kim

As long as the pine is kiln dried, like what Larry has, its fine. All the phenols have been cooked out during the drying process.

I would avoid towels too, unless you know your rabbit isn't a chewer. Instead, I would look for fleece. It has shorter strands and they pass more easily through the rabbit system than towel fibers do, because towel fibers are longer. So fleece is a more safe choice. I get little cheap fleece baby blankets for Ellie for like $2 each at walmart. Or you could see if there is a fabric place near you that sells it cheaper by the yard.
Ellie also has a few velvet blankets that go under her litter box for when she pees over the side. The velvet absorbs the pee but it doesn't soak through to my hardwood floor underneath, the velvet just holds it. They're great! But I'm not sure of how safe it is, but she doesn't chew it.
But in the rest of her enclosure, she doesn't have anything. She likes to lay on the hard floor because its cooler.

I also use pine pellets as litter, they're great. And pretty cheap and so worth it. Ellie never lays in her litter box, but she does sit in it a lot to eat hay.
I think most rabbits eat where the poop, whether you put the hay IN the box or put the hay ABOVE the box, there will probably always be hay in your litter boxes and they'll eat it. They also eat their own poop, so pooping where they eat isn't as much of a big deal with rabbits.

The velvet absorbs the pee but it doesn't soak through to my hardwood floor underneath, the velvet just holds it.
That's interesting. I have some (people) incontinence blankets for my dog who "leaks" and they do the same thing, but I'm sure velvet is much less expensive.

Thumper has kiln dried pine shaving in his litter box. Since it is kiln dried it is safe it costs me about $5 and lasts a month. He has a large cat litter box and I clean it every day. He is kept in an extra large dog pen at night. I tried a folded up towel for a bed when he was young and he would never lay on it. He prefers the plastic bottom of his pen.

During the day he has free run of a room that is carpeted. A small area by the door is linoleum and at times he will lay there instead of the carpeting as it is cooler.

Bedding outside of a litter box can confuse a bun that is litter trained or is learning to be litter trained. If you do not want your bun lying in the litter box then you can put a grid in the litter box that would sit above the litter.

Latest posts

Back