Bedding bad for health?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merf

Reaction score
I have a question about bedding... I bought Dopey this "Critter Cuddle - E Cup" but is it safe? The more I read about rabbits and how they really cannot digest their hair that much... the more I got concerned and took it away. He does chew and nibble on the bed linning, but I don't know if that's healthy for him or if he can digest it.

Does anyone know if this is safe? If not, what type of bec should I but him?

Thank you.

Some people on this forum have beds like that for their rabbits. It should be fine, unless they chew and eat it like yours does. It could be dangerous if ingested.

Mine prefer to snuggle up together or in a pile of hay, so they wouldn't like it.

angieluv wrote:
I wouldn't use a bed like that if he is chewing on it and eating it. Wish I could cause it's a cute bed but i wouldn't use it ;)

:yeahthat:
If Dopey's a nibbler, then you'll need to choose materials that are safe.

Something like a willow basket, and use hay or straw for lining it.
The drawback is that he may decide it's good to use for a litter pan, too.

Check the "safe lists" in the library for safe stuff.
And think "natural" instead of synthetic.

My buns are all blankie/towel lovin' buns.
I'm lucky..... inthat they chew and nibble, but don't ingest.
However, I still make sure that all blankies and towels are 100% cotton.

I had the same concerns with the Cuddle-E-Cup. I thought it was absolutely ADORABLE, but thought about what Toby would do to it... *thinks of many articles of clothing found in bits around the apartment* I recently picked up some table placemats (for humans!) at Kohl's department store in their clearance section. If you can find their clearance section (they hide it so well! I almost felt that I needed some form of Dungeons & Dragon's map to find it), they have an area for placemats and kitchen towels, etc. They had some nice, thick mats that were perfect for bunnies. They were about 1 1/2 to 2 feet and square. I gave those to Toby and Berry-Boo along with a towel and they are in Bun-Heaven. (Those are a life-saver for Berry-Boo too, 'cause the cage we got from SRR to foster her is wire-bottomed, but with the mats, there's almost no wire left for her to step on!)

Long story short, my buns like to chew EVERYTHING, and carpet samples, thick(er) placemats and towels are their favorite nesting material. Heck, you can even go to Goodwill and get fleecy baby blankets (if your bun won't chew them). Fleece is Berry's favorite! ;)

*Note: I don't play Dungeons and Dragons either (if anyone laughed at me), and no, I don't have a problem with the game, it's just not my thing.

*Second editorial note: my roommate plays D&D and said I had to put that on here (I don't know why :twocents:?)

Latest posts

Back