Beau's probable incisor removal

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well..I have had Beau on antibiotics for over amonth since hehad a lot of pus in his upper gum area. I hadtried to grind his upper incisors myself because no one in this townwill do anything other than clip them. I may or may not have causedthis as he has abnormal peg teeth and his two other front teeth tend togrow outward. I first noticed the problem about 5 weeks ago when Iattemped to gently grind his upper incisors...after that he would nolonger eat hay or veggies. We have had multiple vet visits with 2different vets (neither one can do teeth) but I did find a dental groupin Verona Wi. recommended by the head of WHRS. It is about a 2 1/2 hr.drive one way but they will do x-rays and immediately proceed withsurgery that day and then release him in late afternoon. I am veryworried about this as his 4 uppers are abnormal but his lower incisorsare fine. It sickens me to think that they will pull all 6 teeth infront (isn't that the procedure) and that he may not survive thisalthough I think many other bunnies have. I am afraid that he will stopeating altogether. In addition to this Jim is having a really big s***fit over the fact that the estimated cost is between $650.00 and750.00. I just read Pipp's Just a Rabbit" and that is what I am gettinghere..although no one has the guts to tell me this to my face. Beau isonly 3 years old and is bonded to an older female. I just can't havehim euthanized. I know that all of you will understand that I justcan't put him down if it is a tooth problem with a solution. Anywayanyone who has a rabbit who has had incisor removal (good or badoutcome) please post so I will know what I am getting into here. Anyoneelse please post as I need support with this. Beau's infection is muchimproved but the vet thinks that it is because he has been on drugs solong. ..he eats a lot of pellets and a few greens.

Hey, can you knit? The people over atthe local rescue here are knitting the cutest little bunny Christmashats and selling them for $7 to $10 each as a fundraiser, and they'reselling like hotcakes.

They're also doing pretty well with bottle drives.

How about a yard sale?

Orfinda friend who's computer savvy and can sell stuff on eBay for you.

Just make sure that you stress that its a fundraiser for yourformerrescue bun's dental surgery. Stuff like thatwon't pay the wholebill, but itwill at least bringthe price (and Jim's temper) down.

Seriously, Maureen, you do so much for these bunnies that you should be a licensed charity.

(I wonder if your vet has a Paypal account and can accept donations to a trust account?)

There's a way of makingit work.

And I really don't think the surgery is incredibly intrusive oruncommon, they need their molars to chew, not their incisors.You may have to feed him Critical Care and gratedand soft foods, but it's a minor inconvenience.

Itwill all work out. Don't letitget you down.:hug:You and Beau really have the angels onyour side. You've earned your halo many times over.:haloWecan't thank you enough for beingwho you are.

sas :) the forum
meeting.gif
icon_community.gif
andthe warren :brownbunny:toastingbuns:bunnydance::bunny19

Is there a way to do a payment plan or Care Credit? Or like Pipp said, maybe some sort of fundraiser.

I think the surgery will be really good for Beau. It'sactually relatively common to have all the incisors removed on a bunwith maloclussion. I wish there were vets nearer to you thatcould do it. Although I don't have personal experience, Iknow of quite a few rabbits on another forum that have had all theirincisors removed and are doing great. They need their veggiesand hay chopped smaller, but that's about it. Once their gumsin front heal they're good to go. While they're healing theyusually need softer foods. Some will even eat pellet mush orCritical Care out of a bowl, especially if you make it taste yummy withchopped up herbs, canned pumpkin, sugar free applesauce, etc.

Seriously, you'll get nothing but support from us. You're doing the right thing.

Thanks guys...I can pay for this over time soits not the fact that HE has to pay the bill..its more the fact thatthe amt is so big for "just a rabbit" plus he is going to drive me andwait the day. Idid make the drive myself last Mon. to makesure I could get there if he wouldn't do it (i'm the one withthe driving phobia) and I did make it with some problems but I did makeit..problem is I know I can't drive it back at night so he says he willgo but I know that he will be grouchy and crabby but I just want Beauto get there.Beau is only about 3 1/2 lbs so I think howterrible it must be for them to go in there and dig out those longroots. Anyway thanks a lot and keep up the support

You are such a good person for taking such good care of Beau.

As you may recall, my Max just had one of his front inscisors removeddue to an abscess at the base of the tooth. While I think the abscessis coming back, he seems to have no problem with the inscisor removal.The surgery was pretty quick, and Max acts like he doesnt even noticethe tooth is gone. I actually wish the vet wouldve removed the topopposing tooth, because the main problem now is having to trim it.

Im glad to hear you have found a vet who (hopefully) knows what he'sdoing. Ive heard a lot of people in the UK have had the procedure(inscisors removed) and its a great success. I can tell my Max (eventhough he still has 3/4 teeth) kind of gums his food with his lips andthen chews in the back.

I would stock up on some soft foods before the visit if you can. Ibought parsely, pumpkin and carrot juice for Max after the surgery. Hecame right home and dug right into his pellets though!

Anyway, please keep us posted. I will be keeping Beau in my thoughts.

-Haley

Haley If Max had the incisor removed why or howcould another abscess form. I thought that the abscesses in that areawere caused by dying roots and that once the root and tooth wereremoved that the gums would be OK. I have heard that sometimes piecesof root are left in and the dentist has to go back in and get the restout. I thought that dentists knew when pieces of root were still in themouth but maybe they don't. Maybe Max still has a piece left in. I hopenot.....as far as Beau I have no opposition to having all his upperstaken out but the normal lowers bother me. I'll just have to wait andsee what they say.

hmmm..good question. He never reallytold me if he got all the roots out. He said he was able to get most ofthe abscess, but there was a chance the infection would come back. Imnot too surprised though, seeing as how he didnt do beads or aninjection, just oral antibiotics, which IMO is not strong enough.

Now that I think about it, he did say something about how sometimes thetooth can actually start to grow back or something, so that probablymeans that some of the root is there. Interesting...I need to check upon a few things!

I'll be keeping Beau in my prayers. Hopefully, if you have a vet who knows his stuff, you will feel confident with his decision.

Sending lots of good thoughts your way!

-Haley (and poor poor Max)

Maybe Max had an abscess that was not directlyrelated to his tooth and they removed the tooth to treat the abscess. Iam thinking of my own mouth. Whenever I have had an abscess near atooth it is usually because the root is dying or infected. If they do aroot canal or pull the tooth then the problem is over ..maybe Max hasan abscess in that area unrelated to the tooth?? and those things tendto reoccur..anyway I know that rabbits have very long roots on theirteeth and it is hard to get it all out. I can't theorize anymorebecause i don't know. The doctors I'm going to are supposedly very goodso I will trust what they say but I sure hope I don't have to bedriving 300 miles every other week for tx. Beau is slightly better nowbwcause the infection is down but I don't think that this would lastoff the Ciprofloxicin. Hope Max doesn't get another abscess let me know

Just wonderinghow Beau is doing...is his appt this Thursday?

Sending lots of good thoughts your way...

-Haley and the boys

Hi ..Beau is schedueled for Wed..I went to theMn. Companion Rabbit Society on Rabbit Healthseminarnear Minneappolis today and several vets thereaffirmed that the dental consultants im Madison are "A OK"..theysuggest that I bring his bonded companion Babette with him for hissurgery as he is very dependent on her. I had not planned onbringing her as she is 6 yrs old and I didn't want to stress her out inthe car but if the hospital will allow her to stay there until thesurgery is over I will probably bring her. Any ideas on stressing outone bun for the health of another.??

have either of them been on many car rides?

mine are very used to the car, as I always brought them home with me tomy parents on weekend when I was in college. Whenever we goto the vet, even if the appt is for just Max, I bring his buddyBasil. They snuggle the whole way and it makes it easier forMax.

One thing you might do is to take them on a 5-10 minute car ride todayand tomorrow to get them used to it a bit. I also lay down atowel in the carrier that smells like home and give them a littleraisin treat when the ride is over.

I would also call the vet and make sure it will be ok to leave Babettethere if Beau does need to have surgery. Some will allow you to leavethe mate, others want you to keep her with you.

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back