Beau goes to Madison dentists tomorrow

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have to leave at 6 Am TO GET THERE BY9:30am... I am bringing Babette with us as the clinic says they willaccommodate the mate. I am wreck. I am not particularly concerned aboutthe surgery but more concerned that he will not eat and just declineafterwards......does everyone understand that this has clouded my lifejust as if it was my baby boy? I have bought everything possible that abunny could be syringed. I just feel horrible . Please just let me ventas their is no need to respond right now..it is just that this has beenon my mind so long. I really feel upset. :shock:

Iwill bethinking of you andBeau.Good luck at the dentist, please let us know how you areboth doing :hug2:

Well this is a good lesson in rabbit medicine. Iam so exhausted that I couldn't write last night. We left at 5AM andgot home after 8 PM...the problem was not the incisors. The incisorsneeded to be shaped correctly with the proper tools but the roots werefine. Matter of fact everything was fine except what could not be seen. His right backuppers and uppermolars..underthe lips and invisible to theeye(4 of them were grossly infected, loose and full of pus,the 5th had probably fallen out on its own) were taken outand1 stitch put in to hold it together. Worse than that oneof the rotten teeth was poking a sharp edge into his cheek. He musthave been suffering a long time. The dentist Dr Gengler (also practicesat UWL in Madison) was kind,extremely knowledgeable about buns and Icould not reccommend him higher...a real rabbit wizard. He said thatthe teeth practically came out on their own and he assurred me he gotall the roots although in some cases they do grow back and very littlecan be done to prevent this (In Beau's case he doesn't think they will.Babette was able to stay at the clinic from 8 Am until we got him at5pm and he also thought it was a great idea to bring her along... I goback at one month for a check. Since Beau has been unable to use thoseteeth for God does how long the lower molars were not really grown upvery much although I think he ground down a few points. In the futurewe will need to determine whether the lower set will come outtoo.3 vets in this stupid town (La Crosse) told mehis molars were fine...but you know they can't tell except underanesthesia when they can take a good look. I no longer trust any vethere at all. I have been syringing Beau Pedialyte, pumpkin and wetpellets..he tried to eat a sprig of parsley on his own and did it insort of a clumsy way. I feel like I will be hand feeding him forawhile. They gave me Baytril and meloxicam and told me to call if anyissues.. .very professional. I appreciate everyones concern but thisaccentuates my concerns over the fact that sometimes we just don't knowthat our rabbit is really suffering. I just can't stand the fact that atooth was poking in his cheek. Anyway thats whats going onhere.....inaddition Jim was really nice to me yesterday even though hehad to wait all day in a strange place..the bill was $750.00

Oh I'm so glad that Beau is going to be comfortable now!

It must be such a relief for you that he saw a great doctor and this whole thing is over.

750$ is quite the bill. Some people wouldn't consider paying that.Thank God you are one of awesome type of people that put their animalsfirst.

You'll have my prayers for Beau's speedy recovery.

Thanks jordiwes.. I couldn't afford repeats onthat bill but I am glad that I did it. It really really bothers me thatno vet here hadany clue it was the molars..he has been seenby 3 vets. I think that he will be Ok as long as I can get food downhim until he eats on his own.

Amazing story!

Do consider giving a small amount of Nutri-Cal. High incalories, so less fuss and less mess. Great for keeping theirenergy level up and stimulating their appetite.

Thanks for keeping us updated on the trials and tribulations of poor Beau.

Pam

Thanks Pam..I bought a new tube of it on Mon soI would have areally fresh one. If anyone elso can give me suggestionson feeding I would appreciate it . My feeding tubes tend to plug and itreally is messy. I have Critical care but used the slurry pelletsbecause its his normal food. Also blended the veggies up fine but hereally wants to eat them the normal way.

Oh Im so glad to hear he's doing well! Thatsgreat that you finally found a vet who knows what he's talking about,even if it is far away. It makes me angry because Ive been through thesame thing and you think about how much time and money you wasted withthese vets who had no clue what they were doing but wouldnt just admitit.

I hope it will be a speedy recovery for Beau. Im so relieved for you both.

Oh, and I think the Nutrical you can put a little on top of his paw andhe will lick it off..is that what you were having trouble feeding?

Do you have a baby syringe? )the ones they useto give babies oral meds)..those work for me. Another idea is to tryand spoon feed. My Max will eat pellet slurry off a spoon if I make ityummy with added pumpkin and such...

What worked for me when I needed to syrange critical care is this.

I tooka normal syrange that the vet gave me. Its1cc total, with .1cc increments. So the tip is very small tosuck in all the fibery stuff from cricial care. What I didwas cut the tip off with a utility knife.

Usualy its a two person job, one was holding the bun, in thetowel. The other loading the syranges and feeding.

Latest posts

Back