Beating the summer skinnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
Izzy has got the "summer skinnies".:?She has lost so much weight. It would really scare me ifshe wasn't otherwise healthy and it didn't happen like clockwork everyyear. She's got a big frame but is really thin. I can feel sharpishribs and hipbones. grrrr. It seems to happen during weather changes,and it's been getting hotter here. Not dangerously hot, but they areall eating less as usualand I've stuck ice bottles in.

So I'm looking for makeweight foods. Oats, I'm trying. Anything else? Iwonder why she's the only one that changes so much. The others go offtheir food a bit in summer, but they maintain weight better.

I know this will pass, and she's not dangerously skinny, but thinnerthan I like. (still active, healthy, pretty fur, comfortable, notoverheating, pooping, etc.) So any fattening food suggestions would beappreciated. Pellets just aren't as tempting in summer, I guess!

Thanks,

Rose

Hi Rose!!

Nutri-cal might be a goodidea. It will help promote her appetite and will boost her system at the same time.

Hi Rabbitgirl !!!

Please do not feed your bun Oats. This is on the NO NO List of foods.

The list of NO NO it says in one of my books (which is from the list you can get from this forum says:

Beans of any kind
Breads
Cereals
Chocolate
Corn
Nuts
Oats
Peas
Refined sugar
Seeds
Wheat (and any other grain)

It also says, when a bunny is underweight, try increasing the amount of pellets in their food.

Try using Nutri-Cal to help build your bunny up.

Hope this has been of some help to you.

Oats are a perfectly safe food for rabbits :?

Zee wrote:
Hi Rabbitgirl !!!

Please do not feed your bun Oats. This is on the NO NO List of foods.

The list of NO NO it says in one of my books (which is from the list you can get from this forum says:

Beans of any kind
Breads
Cereals
Chocolate
Corn
Nuts
Oats
Peas
Refined sugar
Seeds
Wheat (and any other grain)

It also says, when a bunny is underweight, try increasing the amount of pellets in their food.

Try using Nutri-Cal to help build your bunny up.

Hope this has been of some help to you.
Thanks for your suggestions, Zee.:)Actually, oats are justfine for rabbits in moderation. I have used them for 12 years. They addweight, increase appetite, and help with diarrhea. I'm not sure why anyrabbit book would warn against them. Others on the forum can vouch forthe efficacy of good rolled oats in small quantities.

Also, shelled sunflower seeds are fine in strict moderation. Blacksunflower seeds (I hopeI'm rememberingthe rightname) were recommended this winter on the forum for aiding in raisingbody temp. I remember those being good for weight gain, and may getsome unsalted ones to see if it helps.

Dried whole wheat bread, in 1.5 inch chunks once a day, is also a healthy treat and a great favorite in my herd.

Actually, increasing pellets wouldn't help in this case, because sheisn't finishing what she's got. So any makeweight will have to comefrom a supplement. I'm not overly concerned because of her history andotherwise good condition, but am open to suggestions that might tempther appetite.

Again, thanks,

Rose

JimD wrote:
Hi Rose!!

Nutri-cal might be a goodidea. It will help promote her appetite and will boost her system at the same time.

Thanks Jim. Where did I hear people found it??? My brain is drawing a blank.:D

Rose

I got my Nutrical from Petsmart. That means some of the other chain stores might have it too.

Edited: Mambo beat me to the punch!

Do you feed your rabbits fruit? Maybe you could feed her a little bit more. Not much in case it upsets her stomach.

rabbitgirl wrote:
Thanks for your suggestions, Zee.:) Actually, oats are just fine forrabbits in moderation. I have used them for 12 years. They add weight,increase appetite, and help with diarrhea. I'm not sure why any rabbitbook would warn against them. Others on the forum can vouch for theefficacy of good rolled oats in small quantities.

Also, shelled sunflower seeds are fine in strict moderation. Blacksunflower seeds (I hope I'm remembering the right name) wererecommended this winter on the forum for aiding in raising body temp. Iremember those being good for weight gain, and may get some unsaltedones to see if it helps.

Dried whole wheat bread, in 1.5 inch chunks once a day, is also a healthy treat and a great favorite in my herd.

Actually, increasing pellets wouldn't help in this case, because sheisn't finishing what she's got. So any makeweight will have to comefrom a supplement. I'm not overly concerned because of her history andotherwise good condition, but am open to suggestions that might tempther appetite.

Again, thanks,

Rose

Well, I learnt something new today !! I have made a note of what you have written, so I can refer back to it at anytime.

mambo101 wrote:
Nutrical is available at most chain pet stores. The abovelist mentioned cereal as a taboo, however Cheerios are ok forbunnies.

Right. I'd forgotten about Cheerios because my current herd doesn't like them. Go figure.:p

Thanks for the nutri-cal info!

Rose

Zee wrote:
Well, I learnt something new today !! I have made a note of what you have written, so I can refer back to it at anytime.

It's sad you can't trust the "rabbit books".:?I've foundquite a few errors in them over the years. What book was that one?

Rose

It was Rabbits for Dummies.

I'm no newbie to Rabbits, it was on the reading list here, and I got itas a reference guide as well as the other 3 I have, also from thereading list.

Maybe I should send them an email, telling them they need to updatetheir book. Or better than that, tell them to look at this forum, andthen do a revision of the book.

Zee wrote:

I'm no newbie to Rabbits, it was on the reading list here, and I got itas a reference guide as well as the other 3 I have, also from thereading list.

Maybe I should send them an email, telling them they need to updatetheir book. Or better than that, tell them to look at this forum, andthen do a revision of the book.
The problem is anyone can writea book they don't have to be knowledgeable about rabbits, ideas changeover the years, and don't forget lots of bunny people doesn't have awonderful forum to teach all about our furry friends

samandshawn wrote:
Zee wrote:

The problem is anyone can writea book they don't have to be knowledgeable about rabbits, ideas changeover the years, and don't forget lots of bunny people doesn't have awonderful forum to teach all about our furry friends

Very True indeed.

There are some people in my road that have bunnies, and I have beentalking with them alot. Some of them never thought of taking them outfor walk. I think some of the German people here think I'm crazy, but Idon't care.

dajeti2 wrote:
Zee just think if you took your bunny out on the town in a stroller. :shock:

Tina

:laugh: I think the Germans (no offence to any)would put me strightinto the nut house. But thats ok, it is where I live so I wouldn't havefar to go.

I think that your bun in a stroller is cool !!!

I second the alfalfa.

Gosh I have never had the summer skinnies with a bunny! I have had it with ferrets.

...boy I wish IIIII would have the summer skinnies...:p

Actually Zee, on the subject of Oats, I tend to agree with you.?

Everyone and their brother feels that they're fine.? The truth of thematter is that oats can play with the chemical balance in rabbits.?

When Fauna and Tucker's cecotropes were smelly and clumped together, itwas suggested to me by Kathy Smith (author of Rabbit Health in the21st Century) to stop all oats.?

Especially with Fauna getting on in her years, she's a Holland that is5 years old, she just wasn't able to process them like she used to.?Kathy used the analogy of just as we can have some foods as we'reyoung, as we get older, we have reactions to the same foods that weonce never did.

Kathy never feeds oats to her rabbits.? She doesn't believe in them atall.? I stopped feeding my herd oats and low and behold, the cecotropescame back extremely well-formed and not smelly at all.? Ithought that that was just Fauna's tendency, but it's not.? It wasmaking her chemically imbalanced.? It took a few days, but boy did itwork.? It goes right across the board for all my rabbits.? Even Cali'swas much improved.

Needless to say, I've taken out oats from their diets.? I know somepeople may argue, but that's my experience.? Not trying to say yay ornay, just sharing what worked for me.? Yes, moderation is fine, butsome people consider moderation a handful a day - which is too much formy crew.? Hay is much less damaging when it comes to such issues.? I'dstick with hay to dry them up for diarrehea.?

I'd do as suggested with giving a rabbit your worried about losingweight the NutriCal to stimulate their appetite, and it also has a lotof calories in it, therefore the weight will come.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back