Beans

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi.  She is 2 years old and I'm guessing about 3 lbs.  Sorry i dont have better pics.  I'll have to buy another disposable on Friday and take some more....can u venture any guesses?  She's a just a tad bigger than my netherland dwarf, Rice.

btw - i have family in CT!

I really have no clue... ummm wow, you stumped me.  The coloring is chestnut and comes in most breeds of rabbits.  Anyone else have any ideas?

Sharon

i would personally say a brit or brit mix. the body type and color fit, and just because she is 3 pounds doesn't mean that she couldn't be. . . i mean, when i bred hollands i had a few 6 pound does. . . and they are only suppose to be 4 pounds. . . and although brits are rare, if there is a breeder or 2 in the area then it is easy to understand that a pet one would end up in someones home. . .

to really tell we need a photo of the rabbit from the side. . . i bet it has that arch of a brit. . .

katt

if she were a mini rex mix, then fur texture would give no insight to that as the rex fur is a ressesive trait. so, she would end up with normal fur if one parent was mini rex and the other parent was any other fur type (like mini lop, dwarf, ect).

the only way a rabbit can end up with rex fur (or satin fur for that matter) is if both parents have rex fur (or for satin, satin fur), OR if both parents carry it, but the chance of that happening (2 mix breed parents, or even purebred parents carring the rex coat gene) is rather slim.

Hmmm, I did not know that Rex fur was recessive. That must have made the creation of the Velveteen Lop a difficult task. If I recall correctly, they are lops with Rex fur. If anyone know differently, please correct me.....

yes, the velveteen lop was hard to create. they are a 6 pound lop with rex fur.

it order to create the velveteen lop, mini rex were bred with english lop. this breeding created F1 rex carrier velveteen lop hybrids (wow is that a mouthful! ). if you take the rex carriers and bred them to another rex carrier you have a 25% chance of getting rex babies. if you bred a rex carrier to a rex coated rabbit you have a 50% chance of getting rex coat. and if you bred a rex carrier to a normal fur rabbit that doesn't carry rex, you won't get rex fur, but you *might* get a rex carrier.

the same with satin coats, and i *think* the same with angora coats, but i could be wrong with the angora as i never really studied that gene as i never worked with it when i bred (we bred mini rex, and almost got into satins, so i know about them)

hope that wasn't to confusing, and sorry for getting off-topic!

Latest posts

Back