Baytril vs Zithromax

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmdhart

Reaction score
I have an injured rabbit - a mini lop. He came to me this way and I am trying to nurse him along myself as I can not afford to take him to the vet right now. I believe that he needs to be on antibiotics, but don't have any baytril. I read on one of the posts that you can give zithromax to rabbits. I have some here, but have no idea what the dosage would be. Does anyone have that info?

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Donna

I sent you a lot of info in the pm last night and just resent it re. baytril

if you don't get the pmI will repost it again today on the forum

Zithromax is a good drug for a rabbit ; it's generic name is azithromycin so that when you look up dosages you will often find it under its generic name
if the rabbit can handle it it actually is a stronger and more effective drug than baytril.

it may cause loss of appetite the first few days and if the rabbit can be assisted through that period it often times dissipates ..but not always.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

The dosage is 30 -50 mg /kg A kg =2.2 lbs
it is given once a day by mouth and it is a good idea to give a probiotic like benebac sometime during the day but not at the smae time that you are giving the antibiotic

LOL, I just sent you a message asking the questions you just answered. Thanks. You are a GOD SEND!

Donna

I'm glad that you got the pm from last night

Actually you could go ahead with the azithromycin/ zithromax and then try the baytril if your bun cannot handle it (Appetitel loss or Gi upset. )

We recommend zithromax a lot on here :)

I just gave him his first dose. :pray: I don't have any probiotics on hand. Can I give him yogurt?

d--

No but if you can get to a farm store you can use asmall amount of Probios in a tube which is made for horses
rabbits cannot digest milk products

Latest posts

Back