Baytril question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
someone else just suggested banana baby food..

you'd have to get a bigger syringe but they sell them at Walgreens to feed infant's meds or you can ask the pharmacist for maybe a 20cc one.

Thank you for being such a great help angeluv, and everyone else too :) I think I'll try the banana baby food.

Pinapple juice is sugary, but would be in keeping with the rabbit gut pH range, as Randy said...
Hmmm. Since Randy specifically mentioned simple sugar compounds, maybe poly-sacchrides would be better?
Kelly, oh pharmacy student, where are you?:D

Another etherbun memeber suggested actually getting syrup from a compounding pharmacist. They will sell it in small amounts as it isn't a med.
I'm just passing these along asI get them....

Oops....I forgot to post what to flavor drugs with....I did in the PM but didn't in the forum. There is a company that makes just such a product....and they have a veterianary division too. I have purchased their "at home" kits at large retailers such as Wal-Mart under the name of "Flavor It". While they do have animal flavors...various meety, fruity and veggie flavors...my rabbits have always been partial to the human flavors...mostly grape and bubble gum. Doesn't matter what it is as long as it's tasty and sugar free.

http://flavorx.com/human/default.asp

If you use banana...remmber to use as small a piece as possible. The antibiotics will stress the bacteria...and sugar just adds more stress. A much better option would be canned pumpkin.

Randy

Tonight I gave him the Baytril in baby banana food. At first I tried just the baby food in the syringe to see if he liked it. And he loveddd it. Ha, at first he didn't want to take anything from the syringe because of what I had given him earlier.

Then I drew up 1.2 ml of the medication and then filled the rest of the syringe (3 ml syringe) with baby food. He hated it and so I had to force him to take it. Once I get the tip in his mouth and push it he will lap and swallow against his will, but I have to hold him there.

Thank you for this information. I may have to look into this for other flavors, rather than the strawberry syrup. Sometimes the rats get sick to where they need meds for up to a month, so having different flavors would keep it interesting for them!

:)

yeah thanks Randy

I can use that info also..

Michelle,
You are going to have to get a bigger syringe if you are going to use banana baby food ..you need a greater amount to flavor it

or
possibly use a blender to liquefy a tiny piece of actual banana and mix in the baytril and then try to get it into a larger syringe
if you used canned pure pumpkin without flavoring you could use even a larger amount to dilute the taste but you would have to feed him more of it.

if you are using a small syringe the taste will still be too strong.

you would need probably at least a 10cc -20cc-syringe

I asked the pharmacist once at walgreens if i could buy a couple syringes and told him what for and he sold them to me
let us know

sorry that you have to go through all of this....:(

My vet gave me free syringes when I was doing drugs with my buns (sounds horrible :p)
I would go back and ask them for a larger syringe; they might give it to you, considering they didn't do the compounding part correctly...

I think I may mix it in a small cup or something with a bunch of pumpkin and then just have to fill the smaller syringe a few times.

Thanks everyone for all the help! :) I'll let you know how it goes with his next dose in the morning.

NorthernAutumn wrote:
Kelly, oh pharmacy student, where are you?:D
Hehe, I *was* a nursing student, but close enough lol Sadly, I don't know much about Baytril. I decided I didn't want to be a nurse before I got to the medication classes :p I did look up some research, though.

Unfortunately, they only say that it can be flavored with a "substance" at the vet's office. Other than that, I've only seen people mention using banana baby food.

Here are two suggestions that I read for giving baytril to guinea pigs (let's see what other people here say before trying these!)

I saw this one up further in the topic, too...
[font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"][/font]
My pigs have gotten Baytril in a Hershy's Strawberry Syrup suspension. Tastes way better and they don't fight it.
Here's a different one...
My stepfather's rabbit is on Baytril for a URI. He crushes it up and puts it in some pumpkin with 1 cc of Benebac. When she stopped eating it that way, he crushed it up, put it in some yogurt, and sandwiched it between two banana coins. She is eating this now.
I also found out that baytril is not used in human medicine because it causes hallucinations. ;)

Sorry I couldn't be of more help :( I hope something here helps! Good luck! :)

I just receved more info from etherbun, specifically Rami who is a vet. Rami states that the injectable (rather than oral form ) of baytril can be given to rabbits orally but only for a short period of time because there is alcohol in it and it can damage the stomach.

I thought of that at the time because I have injectable batril here and there is alcohol in it.

I would call your vet on mon AM and get this straightened out as your rabbit shouldn't be getting the injectible form for an extended period of time.
Sorry we didn't know this at the start of this discussion.

It's possible that your vet has baytril tablets which could be broken up and dissolved for oral use for your rabbit.

It is prescribed for 5 days. I don't know if that would be considered long or not. But I am definitely calling the vet tomorrow in the morning.

I tried the pumpkin today. I tried a syringe with just pumpkin and no medicine. And he hated it. So I could not imagine mixing the medication with 5 syringe fulls (15ml total) of that and having to give it to him.

So I went back to the banana thinking he would act better. He didn't. I knew he liked the banana before there was any medicine in it the first time when I gave it to him last night. But this morning he didn't want to be anywhere near that syringe. So it took me over half an hour to give him 5 syringes of banana baby food with his medicine. He went in circles in his pen trying to get away and tried hiding his head in every corner. Now he's exhausted.

I have to go to school in the morning and I'm going to have to make sure I get up extra early to get ready before I give him his dose of baytril.

I'm going to ask the vet if I can just give him the rest of his baytril by injection because it does not matter what is in that syringe, he doesn't want to get near it anymore.

You know that you are beng very responsible.

the fact that this guy (vet) gave you this amount to give to a rabbit unflavored is ridiculous.
You could either give injections. ask him for tablets and then dissolve them or ask for another med.
you could also try something else mentioned here to mixbutI do know that it is a lot to do today...
how are your rabbits other symptoms?

I have mixed it with alittle grated carrots. Umm baby food. In side of a big fat rasin. Umm squirt it in the mouth fast than stuff a crasin in. On a peice of lettuce. Yea lots of ways.

Don't get me started on the Zithromax.:D

He sneezes every once in a while. I haven't seen more discharge. I really only saw it that once, but it was so much, like this big gob of white stuff on his face. Really scary. He was having frequent loose stools, but I haven't seen that as much. So that's an improvement.

I'm surprised he hasn't bitten me over this medication stuff, he probably thinks I'm trying to kill him as horrible as that stuff must taste. He'd probably puke it out if he was capable of puking.

I think the only way to make sure he gets the baytril is to give it some way in a syringe. If I tried to give him it in carrots or raisins, it would probably go to waste, because I wouldn't be able to force those things like I could with something in a syringe.

Latest posts

Back