Baytril 100 mg per ml dosage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeNtheBuns

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have two 7 year old rabbits, a neutered/spayed couple. My boy, Bun Bun, is having some balance issues right now. It's probably either an ear infection or E. cuniculi- I'm hoping for an ear infection but he's getting Panacur just in case. The last time this happened, my vet prescribed Orabac and the balance issue did improve- but two months later, it's back ��. Anyway, I ordered Baytril online to have some extra, which is great because I've been working non-stop and only was able to talk to my vet, not bring Bun in. Since its the same issue as last time, she said I could start the Baytril today and being Bun in on Monday. They are closed all weekend. Problem is, I just realized that the dosage on the Baytril is 100 mg per ml, not the usual 22 mg per ml. It is not injectable, it's actually sold legally online because it's advertised to be put into water as an antibiotic for birds. I did the math and a 20 mg dose would be .2 ml. My concern is that it's too strong, even if I mix it with fruit juice to a strength of 20 mg per ml. Thinking it out, I'm probably just being paranoid- I guess I just wanted to get opinions from other experienced bunny parents ��. I really don't want to go the whole weekend without giving the Baytril and end up with Bun having head tilt- been through that with him already.
Thanks for any advice!
Dee

Last edited:
Multiply her weight in kg by the mg/kg dose you want and divide by the concentration of the drug. My Bun is getting 0.4ml of 50 mg/ml twice a day, so if your med is double the strength than 0.2 ml sounds perfect. I don't like sweetening mine because it just makes more liquid to give and I already have probs getting 0.4 ml in! :) if you compound the drug to a different concentration then you just do the math above to get the drug dose in mL/cc

Re-reading this it sounds like your concern is that it's 100mg/ml that's not too strong to give providing you do your math properly which you did. If it's the same drug just a higher concentration you just give less of it :)

You need to talk to your vet about it. The problem with some medications for birds that are meant to be mixed in water, is that they are formulated differently than an oral medication for rabbits that you give directly without mixing. Some bird med mixes are very alkaline and can cause mouth and gastric irritation to rabbits when giving directly by mouth.

Does your vet have an emergency number that you could contact?

Like Jbun said, you need to make sure it ok to give the bird antibiotics orally- medications meant to be put in water it might really burn your rabbits throat or mouth. I would be afraid to use it without knowing someone else who had used the exact same thing with no ill effect.

Latest posts

Back