Bayou is getting neutered!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mardigraskisses

Reaction score
[align=center]Vet said she's doing an open neuter.
Have no idea what that means, except that rabbit.org said closed it preferable.

I'm really nervous about him having surgery.
[/align][align=center]Not because of my faith in the vet or anything, just cause I worry every time Bayou even sneezes funny.

Can I hear some success stories so I won't worry as badly?

Also, other than the obvious what should I look for or do for him?

He's getting neutered on Wednesday.
[/align]

Good luck with everything! Don't worry, I'm sure he'll be fine :)

mardigraskisses wrote:
[align=center]Vet said she's doing an open neuter.
Have no idea what that means, except that rabbit.org said closed it preferable.

I'm really nervous about him having surgery.
[/align]
[align=center]Not because of my faith in the vet or anything, just cause I worry every time Bayou even sneezes funny.

Can I hear some success stories so I won't worry as badly?

Also, other than the obvious what should I look for or do for him?

He's getting neutered on Wednesday.
[/align]

When storm came home heWould not eat for the first few hours. I let him be with his vegys and stuff I slept in the guarge by his cage that night light sleeper. Around 12 p.m. he ate everything in site.

I would get pain meds the vet would not give them to me for storm but I wont use him again.

Get all of his favorite snacks a few treats. Send a lunch with him when you take him so he can have food before and after his neuter.

I would get a hot water bottle with a towel wrapped around it. And also a soft bad and no jumping on a second level of his cage for a week. Some people also ice there buns surgry site twice a day for a few days.

Hope this helps

Kat

I just called and they said he made it through the procedure without a hitch! :bunnydance:

Going to pick him up at 5. My room is so empty without him here. :sigh:

mardigraskisses wrote:
I just called and they said he made it through the procedure without a hitch! :bunnydance:

Just remember no jumping

And take a snack for him to eat on the way home the sooner he eats the better

Mrs. PBJ wrote:
mardigraskisses wrote:

Just remember no jumping

And take a snack for him to eat on the way home the sooner he eats the better
I left some hay and stuff with him at the vets, but I think I'm gonna bring a little bit of greens and stuff to see if he'll eat them.

He's drinking pretty well, but he won't eat.

I've given him all his favorite snacks and fresh hay (timothy and alfalfa) but he just won't eat.

I dipped a piece of hay in his water bowl and offered it to him, but all he did was take a few licks and toss it away.

:nerves1

He seems pretty out of it. I'm hoping that (if I even get to sleep) when I wake up he may be better.

He's gone to the bathroom twice since he's been home, so that's good I suppose.

mardigraskisses wrote:
He's drinking pretty well, but he won't eat.

I've given him all his favorite snacks and fresh hay (timothy and alfalfa) but he just won't eat.

I dipped a piece of hay in his water bowl and offered it to him, but all he did was take a few licks and toss it away.

:nerves1

He seems pretty out of it. I'm hoping that (if I even get to sleep) when I wake up he may be better.

He's gone to the bathroom twice since he's been home, so that's good I suppose.

When I RB bun Chevy would not eat I had to force him to take a bite like put it in his face until he get mad enough to take it out of your hand and relizes oh this is good. It is very important that he eats.Oh do the hay in his face also. He will bight it to get it out of his face.But as Randy always say hidration before nutrition. Make sure he is getting enough water.

I would try to get some Bene Bac

http://www.petco.com/product/14786/PetAg-Small-Animal-Bene-Bac-(Beneficial-Bacteria).aspx

It may help his gut get moving.

Did you get pain meds?

The shot they give only last a few hours. They say it last 24 to 48 hours but it does not. Get some pedialite unflavored and put some in his water to make him want to drink and some apple juice in another bowl of water.

A rice sock in the microwave for 30 seconds. Or hot water bottle in the microwave for 30 seconds. Sometimes they have trouble comtroling there temps after surgry.

I am going to direct a infirmary mod over here to help to I am no expert. So hopefully they can give more and better advice.

How long has it been that he has been home? Sometimes it takes them a while but if it's been 24 hours he really needs to eat. I'm going to move this over to the Infirmary so you might get some better help there.

usually a neuter will eat fairly quickly *in my experience"; if he has had greens in the past give him some wet parlsey

if he is still not eating now I would call the vet for pain meds.

When my boy had his surgery I was so worried. I worked right next door to the vets so I kept going over to make sure he was okay and the vet techs that worked there kept coming by to update me. His survey went fine as I can see your buns did to. I just made sure to watch him for a few days and I kept him away from a litter box just to avoid possible infection. Peter had a warm towel to sit on for a few days and then in about threes days he was hopping around like before. He didn't eat until the next day but by then he was pretty hungry. I put a few drops of vanilla in his water to make sure he drank it.

I brought him home Wednesday around 5 pm.

He nibbled on a few pieces of hay while he was going potty and I think one of the carrots that I put in there is gone now, unless he hid it.

He seems to be peeing a lot more than usual. Or maybe I'm only noticing it because I'm being hyper vigilant. :ph34r2

His poops are a little mushy but the vet said that was normal.

I bet he'll be eating again soon. We had to give Benjamin a dose of simethicone to get him eating again after his neuter, so that's another option. I think he got some gas in his system from being intubated for the procedure, and the gas was making it uncomfortable to pass poo/eat. Hydration is really good.

I would do as Claire Sugested and give him a dose of simethicone. mabye swinging it in his face to amke him bight it to get it out of your hand

I am going to leave this to the mods now.

If he's eating some, I think it's fine. Just give him a little bit of time to come back around. 1mL of simethicone can't hurt either.

I'm gonna go pick up simethicone tomorrow if he still isn't eating like he should. I opened his cage up so he could get out and the exercise seemed to help a little. He ate a few bites of pellets and hay and drank from his water bowl for a few minutes.

Guess I am just a tad paranoid. :panic:

Thanks to everyone who replied. :)

Latest posts

Back