Baxter! shaking his head/ears alot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliew19673

Reaction score
Since I put him back on the patio this AM he is digging at and shaking his ears back and forth (I read, when buns smelll something bad -they do this butthats the shaking of the head, and not digging in the ear or constantly scratching their head).

I'm thinking it might be fleas and will pick up some kitten -Advantage tomorrow - but if its ear mites (cats are treated for this separately from flies, and cats I know), do bun's require separate treatment? (know how to treat my apartment for fleas -"Flea Buster Powder)and will do so next Wednesday when Baxter! is scheduled to get fixed.

See if you can get Revolution instead, it's one way of treating mites. Although I know I would prefer a more direct treatment. Look into his ears, do you see any debris? What does it look like?

The other possibility is an ear infection. The discomfort can cause them to shake and scratch at their ears.

I looked in his ears and they look clean; I'm guessing to confirm an ear infection is to have him go to the Vet? Can I get Revoulution OTC and if so, can I just treat him for ear mites? However, that being said it sounds as if a vet visit would be better.

If its mites sometimes you wont see them just looking you need to use one of those tubey things the vet has with a light. they will give you ear drops that work well to clear them up

Yeah, I would suggest taking him in to see the vet. Lemme recommend our vet (since you're in our area):

VCA Arden Animal Hospital
Dr. LeeAnn Limburg
407 W. Arden Avenue
Glendale, CA 91203
818-246-2478

Dr. Limburg is SO wonderful, and they're not the typical money-siphoning VCA place, either. We've been several times, and I don't think they've once charged us full price for things. In fact, I just took Teeny for ear mites on the 9th, and they gave us Revolution for everybun without asking to see them, because she knew that it would be expensive to bring all eight of them in...and she wanted everybun to get treated, so she just gave it to us (along with how much to give each bun, as it depends on weight).

The usual charge to be seen there is $65, but they charged us $49.

Not to mention, Dr. Limburg's eyes LIGHT UP when she sees a bun...you can tell she really loves them. And she's really wonderful with them (as is the staff).

Anyway, I would definitely get Baxter! checked out, just in case it's something else.

Hugs to you!

Rosie*

P.S. Since we live so close together, I can PM you all sorts of wonderful places to buy this or that! There are four feed places nearby that are great...as well as a place that's great to buy supplies for much cheaper than pet stores! :) In fact, I'm gonna PM you those right now, just in case ya need them. :D

UPDATE: Took Baxter to the Vet this AM and he does not have ear mites (yay). He has gained 1.5 lbs in the mnonth that I've had him (he's at 4.9 lbs total now) and this vet (the other was in surgery) thinks he's about 5 months old not the 9 months, as the other Vet stated.

They gave me the Revolution for kittens and they said to use the entire bottle; but I thought I read on here that you put a drop on each each and one bectween the shoulder blades - what is the group concensus on this?

Also, it seems that Baxter! is gaining weight awfully fast or when their young do they do this?

As always thanks for the input..

OH YEAH...even my small buns gained a noticable amount of weight each day when they were young. It's really amazing how fast they grow!

As far as the Revolution, I'm not totally sure. I do know that my vet gave us the cat formula and gave us a specific dose for each bun, due to their weight...but as far as the medication in general, I'm no pro.

Question, though: If they decided he doesn't have ear mites, why'd they give you the meds?

Ohhhhh....gotcha! :)

Na...if your vet said to do it, I would go ahead. I was just asking because you'd not mentioned anything being wrong, hehe!

The good thing about Revolution, that my vet mentioned to me, is that it's really safe to use...so you're good! :)

Hugs!

Umm....... Now that this is all through the vet thing....... I find this thread...

I think Baxter! was doing a half binky. They sort of flick their ears in a happy motion.....

Was he digging and having fun like? or digging his ears?

I thought the same thing - but he would flip his ears and then scratch at them; but you know it so funny, yesterday he had to come to work with me as his appt wasn't until Noon so I had all morning to watch him - he never scratched his ears once...

I think it was just ear flipping but being a newbie to buns I get all paranoid... At least I know he gained weight and they trimmed his nails and I now have the Revolution, so not a complete waste of time or $$..

Latest posts

Back