Baxter!'s new bahavior...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliew19673

Reaction score
Last night after cleaning my bedroom up completely and had changed the bed clothes; my BF and I were hanging out with Baxter! watching him completely show off - running the 500 and binking all over the place. Baxter then jumps on the bed and the BF is petting him and Bax seems really into it; then the BF leaves and Baxter! turns around and sprays me!?

Not sure if he is trying to say - "Your mine!" or if he was trying to tell the BF - this bed is mine... Time to get Baxter! fixed (he's 10 months now - according to the Vets guess), but is he spraying me - or did I just happen be in the way? Would be curious to know what you all think.

Also, and so I don't have to open yet another thread, Baxter loves to roll around in the cats litter box (I always make sure its clean before I let him out). I can't imagine this is good for him (rather dusty) but he sure seems to enjoy taking a kitty litter bath - lol. I noticed at the pet store that they sell that dust for chinchillas or whatever and should he get his own - dirt bath litter box or should I just - take the cat box out when I let him run around? thanks again.

From what I understand, you should be honored to be sprayed with pee lol. It means that you belong to him. Alaska and I were both sprayed by Gix until he went in for his neuter. At least you didn't get it in your mouth :biggrin2:....I'm still tramatized, I don't like to talk about it :D

As for the kitty litter, I don't think it's a good idea for him to get into it. I think that the dust can get into his lungs and cause respiratory problems.

Oh yes, he's marking you and the bed most likely.

The BF can cater to his grooming needs, but you belong to the bunny!

Bo used to spray me all the time! LOL!

Lmao, that's too cute :pYou've been claimed! ;)You might want to have him neutered. Lol. It's sweet of them, but really... It's not like I pee on my buns to tell them I love them! No peeing on me :p

O.K. Baxter! is now spraying elsewhere in the bedroom but mainly around the bed itself - really irritating. He's leaving his little poo's all over the bed faster than I can remove (I leave a couple - but he's not happy unless he has about 25 - whats the big deal w/the bed all of a sudden?)

OK so this weekend I'll get him fixed - what can I expect as far as his recovery? Iread about having heating pads and/or ice for him; give him pain medication. Anything that he shouldn't have and how long will he take to recover - should I make the cat leave the room or move him back to the hallyway for his recovery?

Or will he stop spraying? Sounds unlikely, but maybe theres some trick no one has mentioned? Hate to have to have him go through surgery..

Help!!! He's spraying EVERYTHING! I do not understand this new behavior?! In the time I went upstairs to the office to check on vets to take him to for the surgery - he sprayed my Mattress! He's insanely fixated on the bed! Thankfully it doesn't smell and my BF is at work tonight so he won't know. Is Baxter! unhappy being indoors? Is he just trying to "make his mark"? Once he's fixed - will he stop? Isn't there something I can do in the interim? Aaarrggghh... I love him to death but seriously - why???

It's very hormonal and... it should stop after he is neutered. He's literally marking your bed as his.

For now, I'd block access to the bed and put a plastic tarp (shower curtain liners are good for this) on it so that he's not actually spraying the bed.

I understand he's hormonal - but he didn't do this the entire time he was in the hallway in the bedroom, but how that he is in the NIC cage in the same bedroom - he now starts spraying? I don't understand what changed? The only difference that I can see is that he doesn't have the "free roam area" that he has in the hallway or its because the BF took a liking to him.. Do rabbits sex humans? Do they know for example I'm a girl and my BF is a boy? Is Baxter! acting out because my BF tried bonding with him? So many questions and so lost..

I think maybe you're overthinking this - he's marking because that's one of the normal things that unaltered bunnies do. ;)

You'll just need to go ahead and cover things + block access, if need be. he should settle down nicely after his op (though it might not be immediate; it takes a little while for the hormones to leave their systems).

Perhaps it is because the bedroom is now his home, where as before his home was the hallway. He's feeling a sense of ownership where there was none before.

I've had some sprayers, and sure enough about 3 weeks after the neuter the behaviour began to wain. And I still have one very bad sprayer, he used to paint the walls for me, but hasn't in well over a year now since being neutered.

--Dawn

Well Baxter! is back outside today as he woke me up at 5:00 AM all in a manic state; its as if he was in an old Black and White movie,had a tin cup in his pawsand was brushing this,against the bars demanding that the Warden "let him out!". So Iput him outsideand he then proceeded to throw everything around the patio...

I think the Vet has his age wrong and he is younger than 9 months as he is really acting like a bratty 2 year old the last couple of days - just all of a sudden..

Such a curious bun he is..

Lol he's not that curious at all. He's just acting like a typical, hormonal male bunny.

Neutering sounds like a good option, lol!

Sounds like a typical wild teenbun to me! :D

Yep....welcome to the "terrible teens"!! Gixxer was obsessed with spraying his territory before he was neutered. After his surgery, he never did it again. Hang in there with Baxter!, he'll be back to normal in no time. As for the aftercare, boys are much easier than girls. Just keep him quiet for about 3 days and make sure that he eats and drinks. He'll be fine in no time!

Thanks for the info, yet still more questions.

I found a place (next week unfortunately)and they only charge $65 as opposed to the $340 my Vet wishes to charge. I've read somewhere on here, that its important to take home pain meds - this Vet stated that they will give him some after the procedure but,he did not feel male bunnies need it as they are usually eating and drinking directly after surgery; should I trust this or insist that they give me some? How in the world do you know if a bunny is in pain?

I would insist on having some to bring home. At least three days worth. The pain shot they give is great, but in doesn't quite last 24 hours. If it's a male vet, you could always ask if he would like his testicles removed and only get one day of pain relief.

Males do recover quickly, but that doesn't mean they aren't in pain.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back