bathing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alwayshotroddin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Yesterday evening I brought home 2 baby bunnies. Both were just weaned from mom about a week or so ago. Both are doing well, eating and drinking and active, but I noticed on one of their bottoms that it looked like they may have had diarrhea. I'm guessing maybe from being nervous on the trip home and a new environment. The bunny now has "dried" poop on his bottom and I feel like I should clean it for him as he has yet to do it. I saw several threads on here that bathing is a bad idea.... so I was wondering what is the best way to clean his bottom? Is there a product I can buy at the pet store that I can spray on and then wipe it off? Or would it be okay to stick him in a little bit of water in the bath tub just so he soaks off his bottom? If you guys could give me some ideas that would be great!! :) Thank you!

In this type of situation, I would suggest taking a warm wet cloth and some mild non scented soap to wipe his bottom clean and then thoroughly dry the area with a towel.

Keep an eye on him regarding the diarrhea. It may very well be more serious than a stress related problem, especially at his age.

I had the same problem with my lop :) But I gave her a butt bath:rofl: It is a bad idea to completely bath your bunny, because they can get VERY stressed which can kill them.
With a butt bath, most people use a special powder, but I found it easier (with my bunny anyway) to just fill the bath shallow with warm, comfortable water then hold your bunny firmly but reassuringly and lower JUST his bottom into the water for only a few seconds. Then I gave her bottom a wipe with a soft towel to remove anything else there then towel dried and used a hair dryer on the lowest setting, then a good groom :thumbup

Hope this helped!!:biggrin:

I agree with what the others said about "butt baths" to get the dried poo off. You don't want to completely bath them - just do what you can to clean up that area.

Diarrhea in babies can be an extremely serious problem though - I would take them to the vet right away. In an older rabbit it can be a more mild issue, but as I said, it's often very serious in babies.

Latest posts

Back