Bathing Rabbits???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. My name is Robert, and I recently adopted two flemish giants from a farmer who was crossing them with new zealands, and raising them for meat. One is male 11 mos old. and one female 1 year old. I will post pics in as different thread later once I get home to my camera. Anyways, to the point... The rabbits were obviously kept in small wire cages as evidenced by the scabs on their feet, but the part that gets me is they really stink. Particularly the female. She is supposed to be light grey, buy is light yellow and i suspect fully covered in urine. I am not sure how to to about cleaning them. Other than that they are pretty happy rabbits. Content to hangout on my lap on the couch. I have them living in two of tghose big rabbit play pens connected together. Any other relevant advice or tips appreciated. Thank You!

Typically you are warned against really bathing buns as they can have issues when they get wet. You could try wiping them with unscented baby wipes or a clean damp wash cloth.

Hopefully someone that knows more will come along.

Congrats on the new buns! Can't wait to see pics since I really love the flemmie breed.

Are they spayed/neutered? If not you will want to house them separately as they will mate and also they can fight.

Don't give them a bath, getting the whole rabbit wet is asking for problems, usually respiratory and ear issues if you do. Baby wipes or adult bath wipes are best to use. Some of the discoloration will remain until the rabbits shed and loose the stained fur. The smell should fade in a few days, if they smell bad after a few days, something else is wrong and, you should get them to a vet.

Either way do get them to a vet for a health check as soon as you can. Even coming out of a meat breeding home, they should not smell bad unless they were kept in very dirty conditions. Clean wire cages don't make for bad smelling rabbits but yes, that would account for the callouses on the hocks.

Please do not bath your rabbit.
A healthy rabbit in a clean environment is perfectly capable of cleaning themselves.
Nothing more then a warm damp cloth should ever need to be used.
In this case you may just need to wait for them to moult the fur out to get rid of the colour stains.
Having them spayed and neutered will also help with the smell especially if the male is spraying.

It is recommended by Veterinarians no to bathe your rabbit. A butt bath to remove urine scald and feces is accepted, but to be avoided unless extremely needed. We use unscented baby wipes and a damp wash cloth if needed. Also heard you can use corn starch and do a dry bath. When in doubt, call your Veterinarian.

The staining and some of the smell will remain until she sheds out her coat, but I agree with wiping her down with a damp cloth or unscented baby wipes, it may help to take the smell away. Are you keeping the two separate? If not, the male you have may continue to spray her and you want to avoid that (obviously).

Are they neutered? If not, you will probably end up with a litter of babies to look after. And hormonal spraying will explain why they stink and are covered in urine. Please get at least the male fixed ASAP.

As for bathing your rabbit, the main dangers are trauma to the rabbit and pneumonia. Obviously dipping the whole rabbit in a tub of water would be very traumatic, and doing this in anything less than a reasonably warm environment would just be inviting pneumonia.

I have given my incontinent rabbit "baths" that consists of inch-deep lukewarm water in the shower and a towel to alternately soak in the water and gently scrub the fur. You can only scrub the surface of the fur though, you should not try to get the whole coat sopping wet (or your rabbit will take forever to dry). Afterward, let the rabbit dry in a sunny/heated room.

Raising rabbits for meat doesn't imply neglectful conditions. Large-breed rabbits can be more prone to sore hocks (even on solid flooring) and hormonal spraying isn't uncommon in unaltered males. The living conditions may or may not have been cause for their condition.

As far as bathing goes, my experience varies from the norm. Many house rabbit websites say not to bathe rabbits under any circumstances. But as I mentioned, it's not uncommon for a rabbit to get sprayed by a neighbor...or spray their own living quarters and roll around in it. I have some basic "safe guards" in place to try and prevent these mishaps, but they ARE animals so it happens. Likewise, young Holland Lops (the breed I raise) are prone to slight digestive issues as weanlings. So let's just say baths aren't unheard of around these parts. ;)

I fill a sink or the bathtub with just a half inch or an inch of water. I sit the rabbit inside, on top of a washcloth so they're not slipping. You can use a throw-away plastic cup to pour water over affected areas. I use a mild hand soap to quickly rub in and rinse out. Use very little soap, too much will be very difficult to rinse thoroughly.

After the soap is rinsed out, I take the rabbit out and towel dry them for 10-15 minutes. Their fur is very thick with many layers, so it's important to do the best you can to get excess moisture out of the coat. Keep the rabbit at room temperature until they are fully dry (if they don't already live inside). Keep them away from heat extremes while they dry.

The danger of bathing rabbits is that they can have trouble regulating their temperature when they're wet, which is why keeping them at a comfortable room temperature until they're dry is so important. Obviously it's also important to make sure they're not submerged and inhaling water. Rabbits aren't aquatic animals and they generally have little interest in jumping right into it. I don't recommend bathing rabbits just for the sake of cleaning them. But you can bathe rabbits safely when needed. If you have rabbits long enough, you're sure to need it sometime. :)

If a rabbit seems particularly stressed out by the event, I remove them from the bath immediately and spot-clean with a warm washcloth instead. But very few of my rabbits have been any more concerned than they are during regular grooming, nail-clipping, etc.

Last edited:
Thank You for the useful info. I have decided to try and use the unscented baby wipes first to see if I can make that work just to be safe. I have posted pics in the intro section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back