Bath for my bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rarebitt

Reaction score
My bunnies are just over 2 months old. The pet shop owner advised me not to bath them until they are bout 6 months old. Not sure if i can give them a bath at this stage as their foot are getting dirty and some of their fur are getting dirty as well.Please advise.

Hi,
You don't need to bath the bunnies unless they are having some sort of problem and they can't clean themselves. Rabbits groom themselves all day with their little tongues. They ought to be quite clean all by themselves if they are healthy.

Water is very scary for rabbits generally, avoid bathing if possible.

Is their area clean? Are they stepping in their own output and staining their feet?

Their area are clean but one of them step on their output outside their cage when i was cleaning the litter tray. I didn't realise that until the stain got dry out. I've heard of dry bath with cornstarch baby powder. Does this work? How do i dry bath them?

In my experience washing their feet and bum using baby shampoo isn't bad. Just dry them well with nice soft towels. They'll finish drying by licking.

Poop stuck to long fur is hard to get out without pulling out the fur too so I bath them.

I only put my rabbits in water when they have nasty bums. And I only wash their bums. Nothing else.
The pet shop owner obviously knows nothing about rabbits if he's telling you they need baths :rollseyes

Rabbits don't like water, and while they may be calm when in it, it's because they're too scared to do anything....and that's why people think they like water.

If their feet are getting dirty, you can mix 1 part vinegar with 2 parts water and use a washcloth to scrub off the dirt/pee. It may take a little while to scrub it off, but they will most always be quite cleaner then they were before.

And of course, the best prevention of dirty feets, and bums, is to make sure your bunny hasa clean cage; and watch for diarrhea or stuck poohs to the bum.

Emily

My buns tend to get very dirty bunnybutts even thought I clean their cages every other day. Especially Zeus, he had has longer hair so the piddles get stuck. I take my buns to get their nails clipped and the groomer gives them a quick bath. I know they don't like it, but there bums need it!

Bunnies are fantastic at cleaning themselves and do it regularly. Like you wouldn't bath ur cat unless it was unavoidable, this is the same with rabbits.

Never immerse them fully in water- this could shock them and could really be quite dangerous.

If you HAVE to bath them, just fill the sink about 2 inches with lukewarm water, with a towell at the bottom for them to stand properly on.
Lower their feet in and have their front paws on your chest, so basically they are facing you with their bottom in water (just).
Scrub their bottom with your hands or a soft cloth until they are clean, then wrap them in a nice soft towell and dry them inside the house, until they are completely dry.

Twice I had to give Benji a butt-bath, as he had a bit of a runny bottom for a few days, and I didn't use any shampoo. I just used the lukewarm water and he came out absolutely fine.

I don't think shampoo is necessary tbh. Just water will do the trick.
:)

Latest posts

Back