Basic Color Genetics for Rabbits: The B & D gene

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
Well - let's talk about the "Bb" gene and the "Dd" gene.

The B gene controls whether the rabbit is black...or brown.

Since black is the dominant color in the genes - it is "B". Brown is "b". It is possible for a black rabbit to "hide" brown...because they could get the "B" gene from dad and the "b" gene from mom.

To be honest - rather than brown - I should say "chocolate" - but I wanted you to get the idea.

So - the B gene controls the basic color of your rabbit. Is it in the black family? Or is it in the chocolate family?

The "D" gene is what controls the "dilution" of the color. This is the gene that turns a black rabbit...into a blue rabbit. It can also turn a chocolate rabbit - into a lilac rabbit.

"D" is for "full color" pretty much...and "d" is for the dilute color. So a "DD" or a "Dd" rabbit is either black...or chocolate. A "dd" rabbit is either blue...or lilac (depending upon what the A gene is).

Now you can have two black rabbits that are "Dd" - and get a blue baby from them...because it took the "d" gene from each parent instead of getting a "D" gene.

Questions? Comments? Clear as mud?

bunniekrissy wrote:
How do agouti colors like Chestnut and Opal fall into that? Although thinking about it now, I bet I can guess to some degree...
Chestnut is the A agouti gene with a B gen (black) and a D gene (not dilute).

Opal is the dilute version of chestnut.

Latest posts

Back