Barney Digging...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse_chalk

Reaction score
Recently, Barney has been coming up onto my lap for cuddles. He doesn't seem to have worked outhow to jump up on the sofa, so he normally gets picked up and put on my lap. He normally settles down and goes to sleep, or lies still fora little while, and occasionally puts his paws on my shoulders and rubs my face with his nose (awwww!).

But the past few days, he's been sleeping/lying down for a bit, then juming up and digging me. Like, REALLY digging! I always used to have a towel or blanket on my lap to stop him moulting all over me, but today I didn't, in case it was the blanket he didn't like. But he still dug! And it's leaving me with a lot of scratches!

I thought that maybe he just gets bored of sitting on my lap (although he does explore the rest of the sofa), and since he can't get down he just pesters me to help him. I usually end up putting him down on the ground, after a few minutes of the digging,so he can run around a bit.

Is this why? Does he just not like having a cuddle on my lap? He doesn't seem to dig in his cage or anywhere else... :?

All of my buns have done this. Basically, they are being disapproving when they do this for whatever reason: not wanting to be there, something in their way, etc. Just watch out, sometimes after the digging or in between, they'll nip. It happens pretty quick too. If he does nip, just gently tell him no or make a high pitched "Eeee" sound and he should stop, this noise after time can get them to stop doing that altogether but doesn't always work;).

I was afraid of you saying that! I guess he doesn't like being on my lap for so long anymore- he loved it at first! :(

The weird thing is that he does it in between lying down and snuggling with me... I have been worried about him nipping me, so when he digs I keep my arms up in the air lol!

Whenever Corky digs at me like that, its his signal he needs to potty....so I tend to listen to that...or I get really wet...digging usually means I have about 5 minutes....:bunnybutt:

Oh, that's a good point! Cos he did it yesterday, the digging, but because I had a blanket it wasn't hurting me, and I felt too groggy from the anaestheticto put him down on the floor until Steve came back in the room, so I just left him to it... Sure enough, he peed on the blanket, and it ended up in the washing machine ;)

So, I guess next time he does it, I just need to put him down pronto, right?

Funny you mentioned that, as I was reading my response to you to my hubby,he said "Or pees":p. Mostly mine haven't done that, Snuff did do it once though on the couch. Usually he's down running around as that's his preference;).

Lol!

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense really, he's usually perfectly litter trained, poops and everything, but I guess when he's sat on my lap for 45mins or more he can't go to his litterbox lol! Poor Barnbarn... He's just so cuddly though! :p

My boy Tyrone digs like that, but it seems to be when he is being playful in a rough kind of way. Maybe your bunners is being a bit cheeky like my bunner? ;)

Bo digs on me when he's ticked off - trying to tell me it's time to let me down. It might be so he can get to the litterbox. He'll also do it when I am standing - he'll dig my leg to get my attention.

Tony digs when he wants down too.

Spank digs at me when he's upset, or if I'm in his way. He used to nip -HARD-, and I'd scream in response. He eventually learned not to bite me anymore, and reverted back to digging. But I still get out of his way fast when that first dig comes!

CorkysMom wrote:
Whenever Corky digs at me like that, its his signal he needs to potty....so I tend to listen to that...or I get really wet...digging usually means I have about 5 minutes....:bunnybutt:

Exactly! This is exactly what happens with my Vitto too! He's a big cuddler and kisser, but after quite some time in my lap or on the couch or on the bed, when I see him digging, well, I have less than 5 mins to rush him to his litter box!

Marietta

Lol! Glad to see I'm not the only one! :D

Well I had him up on my lap again today (I know, I know, I just wanted a cuddle to cheer myself up!), and he was ok for a bit, then he dug a little bit, but then he jumped down! All by himself! So it's nice to know that he can get down if he really wants to and doesn't just stay up on the sofabecause he feels like he has to! :)

Marietta wrote:
CorkysMom wrote:

Exactly! This is exactly what happens with my Vitto too! He's a big cuddler and kisser, but after quite some time in my lap or on the couch or on the bed, when I see him digging, well, I have less than 5 mins to rush him to his litter box!

Marietta

Corky is generally good for about an hour...UNLESS he has some of my Lipton Green Tea w/ Citrus...that runs thru him in about 5 minutes.... :laugh: So if we are gonna have that, its right before its time for bed anyway!!

Sounds like if he went on the blanket mouse, that may have been exactly what it was...especially if he is that well litter trained. Corky is so well trained he won't even go in his wire bottom carrier....so it makes sense that he will do whatever he can to not go on me too!

Just watch his signals, you'll figure em out...(hehe, well some of them anyway) :nosir:

mouse_chalk wrote:
So it's nice to know that he can get down if he really wants to and doesn't just stay up on the sofa because he feels like he has to! :)

Well, our adorable little friends are so self-centered (plus we spoil them so much), that I don't think they would ever do us the big favour of staying in our lap because we'd like to! The minute they get tired of cuddling and kissing, off they go to something even more interesting. It is what THEY want that matters in their little heads (and boy, aren't they strong-headed, as we all know!!!).

Marietta

Latest posts

Back