Barking??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiveLaughLop

Reaction score
So my sweet little 9 week old Holland lop buck was barking in the middle of the night last night in the dark. It happened 3 separate times. He barked about 10 times each. What does it mean? The sound itself made me feel kind of sad, like he was lonely. But maybe he was playing and happy or something. This morning I went to see him and he was very happy to see me, jumped around his cage a bit and made some other squeaks and other noises I never heard before. I gave him some more pellets and hay, and then pet him a bit before getting ready for work.

He is my little cuddle baby, ive never seen a rabbit so cuddly. Maybe he wanted to cuddle haha. This is a pic from last night before bed.

1406026023058.jpg

I wanted to add that barking is the best way to describe it. I have 3 dogs and one of them is the yappiest medium sized dog on the face of the earth (Australian Cattle Dog) and I actually thought that she got stuck behind a door or something and was yipping to get out lol

The only things I can think you might be describing is either your rabbit grunting or coughing. Grunting usually happens when a rabbit is upset or irritated and wants you to stop something. It's just a low sound in the throat. Coughing is more serious and may sound like or be accompanied with sneezing. If it is just a one off thing it's probably nothing to worry about, but if it is happening repeatedly, I would be concerned about a partial obstruction(piece of hay stuck) in the throat or a respiratory illness. If you think your bun is having repeated coughing attacks, and especially if he is exhibiting any other strange respiratory sounds, I think you need to get him into a vet right away to be checked.

I dont think it was a cough, it didnt sound like one. And my bun is showing no signs of sickness, no sneezing or any signs of respiratory issues. It was very much sounded like he was trying to express something I just don't know if they make yipping sounds while happy or not happy lol

Sometimes they can make a happy 'honking' type noise. Especially unneutered males, and it is often accompanied with circling your feet :)

think i have that noise from my bun right before i leave for work ....

i go to her and pet her a bit and she is like all excited ( like she can calm down ), she makes these noises ...

i just feel bad leaving her there and she is giving that look, like come back or take me w/ you

I don't know that I would place much faith in those sounds being accurate. The ones I listened to either didn't even sound like it came from a rabbit, or it wasn't accurate and sounded more like a rabbit with respiratory issues. The wheeking is a guinea pig and some of the others sound like they came from chickens, and not rabbits at all. The sound that is supposed to be crying, isn't a sound I've ever heard from a rabbit, and I think I've pretty much heard most of them. And rabbits don't really 'cry' in that respect. They can whimper if nervous about something, or scream if in pain or very afraid. Keep in mind too, that a rabbits body language also is important in determining how they are feeling. The sounds they make are just a part of it.
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

If you could happen to catch it on video, we could probably be able to identify it for you, and as long as it doesn't have to do with a respiratory issue, I suspect it is probably just a normal happy or neutral sound that rabbits make.

maybe grunting/growling and he just has a weird way of making the sound? my bun growls/snorts when she steps on her keys because they make a rattling sound on the floor so she always has to turn around and growl again and give them a
good toss haha.

Latest posts

Back