Barbering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aina

Reaction score
As you know, Ronnie and Skye are bonded. Well, today I took them to the vets because Skye looked like she had mites. The vet thinks it is Ronnie who is barbering Skye. So I have to seperate them for two weeks. I am wondering what I can do about it, and how to seperate them. Right now one is in the cage and the other one is in the run.

What does he mean by barbering? Chewing out the fur? Over grooming? Something else?

I have had to separate my Dopeys a couple of times from over grooming and I put them in hutches and swap them each day so they stay used to each others smell, and they got supervised play.

You could try making an enclosure and splitting it on two and having one on either side but so that they couldnt get to each other (sich as a small gap in between, or NIC grids overlapped to make the holes smaller) because that would allow them still to stay friends but not to have one make the other naked.

Can I ask where? Because sometimes it can be down to humping more than deliberate barbering/over grooming.

The shoulders and near the ears. Maggie likes to lick that area too, but I haven't let her near Skye in a while.

Yeh, doesn't sound like humping (that generally happens on the nose -like up between the eyes- and on the top of the back).

You might want to put something on the baldy to help it grow quicker, I use sudacreme on mine and it tends to grow back very quick.

Randy sometimes mentions a nurse bunny, who will identify a problem before we can, so it might be worth keeping and eye on her bald area incase in the near future there is an abscess or something there, because buns can sense it before we know and maybe Ronnie is doing that as opposed to being over enthusiastic.

Latest posts

Back