Bangbang and her bottom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bangbang

Reaction score
Bangbang ONCE AGAIN has managed to get poop stuck and matted into her fur, this time its in the area just behind her pooper and kind on her tail, i managed to get some off but the rest it too matted!!!!!!
I only shaved her underside about 2 months ago so it could be worse. The problem is she is such a headstrong bunny i'm worried that if i shave it with her awake she may kill me!!!!!!!!!!! I did have her gased down last time as it was a larger and more delicate area and I couldn't do it awake.... so anyone have any suggestions??
And secondly how do i stop her making such a mess of herself!??!?!?! I dont want to have her underGA yearly to clean upthe mess she makes its not good for her.
Also brushing her... i'm really struggling with doing her back end, I had tohold her down today to do it as she's moulting and I don't want her matting up and now she's soangry Ifear for my existance:shock::p...
So yeah.... myfunnybunny is being a pain in the BOOT

Couple of things. First, examine your husbandry protocols in detail. Make sure she is getting a high fiber/low protein diet....that is unlimited grass hay and very limited pellets and treats. If that is in order, I would suggest a fecal float to look for parasites.

Randy

She's litter trained, she has unlimited hay, she gets 1/2 cup pellets 1/2 rabbit muesli a day, in terms of treats she eats the garden? and i give her fresh food a couple of times a week. As for parasites she was treated a 4 weeks ago and is treated on a regular basis.
Her enclosure is cleaned twice a week and her litter tray is cleaned every second day, as i said before she's litter trained she doesn't normally poop everywhere (on the odd occasion she has rebelled). Her poop is normal.

As I see it she's sitting in it and thats why its stuck to her fur, plus she's fluffy so i think the night pellets in particular are the cause of this as she oftens doesn't eat them.

Ummm.....what is her approximate weight? I think your concern may be an overload of carbohydrates/proteins resulting in too many cecals. If I were dealing with this situation, I would remove the cereal totally and forever....and start cutting back gradually on the pellets. For the most part, pellets contain much more protein than a normal rabbit needs. Too many carbohydrates and proteins will lead to a very active GI tract and usually a poopy bottom. It can also lead to dehydration if the GI tract gets too out of whack. To give you an example of my pellet offering.....I have a couple of Flemish Giants that now approach and exceed 12kg each. They get about a quarter cup of pellets per day along with unlimited hay. Both arein perfect health despite one of them coming from an abuse/starvation situation. We have some rabbits that get no pellets at all.....strictly hay and limited greens. I would also monitor the greens she is eating. We have some buns that are quite sensitive to some greens that other eat with no problem....and they get a poopy bottom when that happens. We rarely have GI problems around here.

What type of parasites were you treating for....was a fecal performed or was it just a generic type treatment? What type medication is your bun on? Some parasites have to be specifically targeted....much like bacteria. There is not really a one size fits all when treating parasites.

I think a move back to bunny basics may be of help....high fiber, low protein. Hope this helps.

Randy

Latest posts

Back