Bandy not fancying his food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just given him his simethicone and have given him a little water and some critical care...not much as it´s all over but about 4-5ml and will try some more in a little while if he settles OK. Poor thing has a green and red bottom lip now....I hate that he´s not well. :bawl:

Well worth staying up the night to give him his meds to see the improvement this morning. He´s just had some dill and scoffed it down and is now grooming himself. I am so relieved that my big fluff ball is doing better and thank everyone who´s been there for me through the night with advice and support. Couldn´t have done it without your guys her on RO. :feelbetter:

Just to update on here that he seems to be out of the woods now.

He´s just eaten from the salad plate and nicked some of Houdini´s dill as well and he´s had a bit of hay and some pellets. He´s stretched out but looks a lot more comfy than he did last night but I´ll keep my eye on him.

Vet wasn´t there this morning and the receptionist was not really that sympathetic, told me off for giving him metacam and told me to keep giving him critical care. I think I prefer the advice on here and his improvement shows that it looks to have worked.

In any case, if I see a downturn later, I have the vet´s number and can call her.

Thanks to all who contributed, you got both of us through the night.

I have to go to my friend´s for lunch but I´m gonna make it shorter than usual and am hoping that Bandy will be OK for a couple of hours.

I´ll be itching to get back though to be with my big fluff ball :wink

Can't sleep, so had to check in to see how our boy is doing. I'm so pleased to hear he's feeling better. What a relief!

I am so glad and relieved to hear he is perking up. I know the last time Thumper wasn't wanting to eat I was beside myself. It made it worse that the family all left for the races so I was alone. When I wasn't giving meds, trying to get him to drink or eat or just hanging out with him I would be on here updating. I couldn't relax for a minute.

I was glad that he's so laid back as my placing his water bowl in front of him or holding food in his face didn't seem to bother him at all or cause him stress.

I would be upset with the receptionist. Bandy might not be feeling as well as he is now without the meds.

I hope you can relax now and enjoy the weekend.

Vet wasn´t there this morning and the receptionist was not really that sympathetic, told me off for giving him metacam and told me to keep giving him critical care. I think I prefer the advice on here and his improvement shows that it looks to have worked.

'Cause, you know, better to let him be in pain >.>

My guess is the receptionist probably isn't rabbit-savvy enough to know how important pain medication is for stopping a tummy-ache from turning into stasis. I can see discouraging people from taking it upon themselves to dole out leftover prescription medication... but it's a pain med, not an antibiotic or something - it's no worse than a person taking a leftover prescription pain med because they've got an injury that doesn't require emergency care but they want to be more comfortable until the doctor opens the next day. It's not a medication with a distinct risk of side-effects and it's not something where a full course needs to be taken if it's given at all.

Kinda reminds me of the receptionist that swore that they HAD to see the bunny before they could sell me critical care even after I told them that the bunny in question was already being treated by another vet. I'll be asking the exotics vet there about that incident on Monday, as I have an appointment (did NOT want to use that vet, but the HSPCA gives out a voucher for a free wellness exam when you adopt a pet and that particular clinic is the only option they offer that sees exotics).

Yeah, I don't quite get the deal about metacam either. I understand it's an rx med., but it's just an anti inflammatory, not a narcotic or anything. Pain relief is so important in these instances where there is no possibility of getting your rabbit to an emergency vet, but have to keep your rabbit going until your own vets office opens. It can sometimes be the difference between the rabbit going into full blown stasis, or quickly recovering.

We use judgment and take otc pain relievers for ourselves, all of the time,. I don't know how it's really any different when we have to do the same thing for our pets. Chris just as easily could have given ibuprofen or aspirin, for pain relief, yet I don't consider them as safe an alternative. Metacam seems to be one of the safest NSAIDS for rabbits. I really wish it wasn't rx.

Plus, I think the dosage she ended up giving, was at least half of what is recommended for rabbits anyways.

Yeah, baby or low dose aspirin and baby ibuprofen are considered safe (as in not explicitly toxic) for rabbits and medirabbit has dosing info for them... but if you look at the potential side-effects, metacam/meloxicam is actually SAFER for rabbits than either of the OTC options. The only warnings given for it are regarding bunnies with liver or kidney failure (unlikely/uncommon in general and would be symptomatic) and regarding potential interactions with other drugs.

As for the potential interactions, only three classes of drugs are listed - NSAIDs (no reason to give more than one at a time), corticosterioids (which any rabbit-savvy vet should see as a "last resort" thing - when a vet prescribes them right off the bat, that's a BIG red flag) and "nephrotoxic medications," meaning drugs that are very tough on the kidneys... and for what it's worth, the same warnings presumably also apply to aspirin and ibuprofen since those are NSAIDs as well.

The most likely nephrotoxic medication for a rabbit to be given is Baytril (or another antibiotic) and most stasis causes don't warrant an antibiotic. Even if the cause turned out to be something like a tooth abscess that necessitated antibiotics, metacam only lasts 12-24h (after which time the antibiotics could be given without fear of interactions)... and I'm always quick to remind people how crucial it is to inform the treating veterinarian of any pain meds given at home (be it metacam or an OTC medication) both to make sure the vet is aware of any potential drug interactions and to make sure they don't double-dose the bunny with pain meds because they were unaware that something was already in their system.

If I had a bunny in pain and had all three pain med options (aspirin, ibuprofen and metacam) sitting in front of me, I'd go straight for the metacam every time - it's the only one I wouldn't feel at all wary about.

I actually got the Metacam at that vets when they went to have their vaccinations and she said to only use it when absolutely necessary and she wrote the dosage on the bid. I also got the critical care from there as well. I trust the advice on here every time from you guys. Most have been in the same situation and know what works and helps.

Denise, I know what you mean, I kept coming back and forth on here for the advice and the contact, it is hard when you are on your own.

Jennifer, both you and Jenny are my gurus, I have learnt and am learning so much about bunnies from you two and from so many others.

I hope it doesn't,t happen again but am copying and pasting some of these tips.

Bandy is doing fine, he's been racing about and trying to eat the carpet since we got home and looks so much better. Panic over and back to normal :)

What a rascal! I'm glad he's back to being a troublemaker :p

One thing you may want to do today, is don't give any sugary or starchy treats. His veggies are good, and really push the hay. Also if you have any apple sticks, give him some to chew on. With him not eating much in the last day, he'll have a bit of a gut slowdown, so you want to increase fiber to help get things back to normal. Also what Jennifer mentioned. Keep a watch on him later today, as the metacam is wearing off, and just make sure everything is good with him. If he still is doing good, then it's likely this was all due to a stomach upset that has passed. Though if you do notice him not acting like his usual self in the next few days, you'll want to have your vet check him over next week.

Too bad you didn't think to tell the receptionist that the vet gave you the metacam to be used for a situation just like this. If a rabbit not eating, isn't considered a situation where it is 'absolutely necessary' to use metacam to help, then I don't know what is. I would just listen to your vet. It sounds like the receptionist doesn't know what she is talking about.

Jennifer, I'm with you. I would go with the metacam too.

Am just getting ready to go to bed and he's eaten quite a few veggies and some pellets. He's never been a big hay eater like the other two but I've just put a hay cube as well as the hay in their enclosure so I'm hoping he'll be tempted. I've put some on the floor near him. I'll worry about him for a few days but he looks to be on the mend :)

Latest posts

Back