Bananas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patches2593

Reaction score
can rabbits have bananas? never knew they could. how much? how often? does it matter on size or breed? I've never given my rabbit bananas and hes a year old turning 2years in November. is it good for them? is it too hign in certain thinkgs? should it be served as a treat?

Yeah just a little. It's like most fruits a little here and there. Kind of like a treat really. Harvey usually only likes a few nibbles anyway. Oh they can eat the peel too!

The peels have less sugar, so are better for rabbits than the banana itself. [So I'm protecting Honey.] I wash the banana peel before peeling it, give her some fresh, but cut the rest up into strips to give as treats after they dry.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
I've heard bananas are alright--mine won't eat them.

Really? My rabbits go crazy if they even suspect we have banana.

Mine all love it, particularly Willow, he goes ballistic when I get him banana. I only give a slice at a time though, and maybe once a week.

LakeCondo wrote:
sort of like a brown stick, at least the way I cut them. 3+" the long way & 0.5" the short way.
thanks for this great idea...i was surprised to find out she actually prefers the peels so she is going to love this new treat idea.

I would not offer banana peels unless they are organic, and still wash thoroughly. Bananas are gassed by grocery stores to ripen them. It has been noted by a friend of mine, that certain banana brands{Dole} caused her breeding birds to be infertile. When the bananas were changed to a different brand{such as chiquita}, fertility returned after a year.She spoke with the grocers and pursued this for further info about how the bananas are handled.
I would also recommend that all fruits and vegetables be soaked first in GSE{grapefruit seed extract} to remove any pesticides and even for supposed organics.Use of a fruit/vegetable wash is ok as well. Rinse, rinse, rinse...
Purchase organic fruits and vegetables from a reliable source whenever possible.
Food for thought...

I guess if you gave the peels as a frequent thing, that'd be worth doing, but at a rate of less than a square inch a week, I don't think it is. And aren't the grapefruits treated, as well?

Most definately.

A chunk is a lovely treat! Mine have always adored them.

Jen

I just feed in slices, peel and all. My gang is not so fond of bananas actually so it's not something they get much since they often thump and stick their noses up at it. Maybe Crumble will like it... *Shrugs*

Hi
My Bunnies LOOOOVVVEEE Banana.
Bubby the main female in my family would do anything to get Banana. She almost begs for it but I'm a kind mum so I give it without the begging!
:D

All my females LOOOOVE bananas, but my male hates them!

My Alice would do anything to get a slice of Banana, that's how i got her used to my cat - I rubbed banana on my cats face and Alice went up and licked it off her, they've been best friends ever since! :D

All my females LOOOOVE bananas, but my male hates them!

My Alice would do anything to get a slice of Banana, that's how i got her used to my cat - I rubbed banana on my cats face and Alice went up and licked it off her, they've been best friends ever since! :D

My little guy goes nuts for banana! Anytime they are in the house he can smell them and starts begging like he is a doggie.

DSC_0004.jpg

Latest posts

Back