Bambi's ear

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redflare622

Reaction score
Back ground:

Bambi is a 6 year old velveteen rabbit. He weighs about 8lbs, and is brown with white markings on his chest. He is not neutered, his fecal and urinary output are normal. Just within the last week his mood has changed and he has grown irritable.

He has never been sick before, and he eats the normal feed, hay at least twice a week, and water constantly. He gets occasional treats like carrots &slices of apple.

I took bambi to the vet, they said the mass could be cancerous but they wanted way too much money to remove it and if it wasnt cancerous than the surgery could just shake him up.

This mass looks like as if it was a piece of poop.(size & shape) only it has grown and on occasion there would sometimes be blood if he accidentally scratched it. Now the mass has doubled, his tempermant has changed, and he's going through some hair loss (which he usually does with summer because he is a velveteen, so he's losing his winter coat.)

Some have told me that putting him to sleep might be the best thing but I dont feel as if he is suffering.

I wasnt sure what you would recommend or if there was any kind of ointment or cream that i could use to care for this mass, or if the best thing would be to put him out of any misery he may endure in the future. Im so unsure of what i should do!

First off, where abouts are you located? Different countries have different medications available to them.

Where is the lump located?

It is possible that the lump could be an abscess. It is also possible for the lump to just be a fatty mass. And cancer is definitely an option as well.

Is it possible for you to get some pictures of the mass?

--Dawn

If you can't afford to have it removed, could you find out if it's cancerous or not? A biopsy? It would be sad to put him to sleep if it wasn't cancerous. April

Sometimes a piece of tissue can be taken from the area and sent to the lab for a biopsy which would tell us if it is cancerous. If the borders are irregular and it is misshapen very well could be

maybe you could shop around for vets that might be more reasonable in getting it removed or have a payment plan .

it seems a shame to PTS when a piece of the ear could just be taken off...

then again if it is cancerous may possibly be in other internal areas which is causing the change in behavior....
I hope that you can work something out with him; he 's a beautiful boy ...

It does look like some skin cancer we saw in a rabbit before on the forum. I agree that it would be a shame to have him PTS for it. There's only a small chance it's spread to any important organs, since the ear is so far away form all of them and it looks to be pretty focal there. I think removal of the spot would be really simple.

Latest posts

Back