Bambi doesn't get it

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hthr5408

Reaction score
As part of my daughters 4-H she has a breedingpair of Mini Lops. Well her buck Bambi isn't getting it and I am notsure what to do. Any suggestions?

How old is Bambi? Is it light a lot where you are?

Sometimes you need to keep lights on in the rabbitry area so they think its spring/summer and want to breed.

You can start switching cages back and forth too. Put him in her cagefor a couple of days (and vice versa) and then switch them back so hegets used to her smell.

How long do you allow them to be together? Some bucks just need time to think about it for a bit..

Peg

Well, I posted Flashy's solutionin the Introduction thread, but it's worth repeating. ;)

2eeeqvs.jpg

lol, poor little guy is being humiliated everywhere, lol.

What is Bambi doing? Ignoring her? Mounting the wrong end etc? How old is he?

Oh my goodness!! That picture is too cute. Looks like that little guy is studying really hard! :laugh:

How old is Bambi? If he's still pretty young, chances are he might notbe feeling the hormones that make him want to breed. Also, it isusually advised to put an experienced doe with an inexperienced buck.Sometimes if you pick the buck up and put him on top of the back end ofthe doe, a light bulb will click in his head and he'll figure the wholething out.

Bambi is 4. It seems he is too high. To be putbluntly the wet spot is about 2 inches above her tail. He wastrying for "the wrong end" but I kept moving him. Thumper just sitsthere for him and waits. It is not like she is not wiggley or anything.

It sounds like he is doing it right.

The doe has to be in the right mood though, because she also needs todo something towards it, i.e. lifting her tail so he can actuallyaccess where he needs to access.

So it may be her not being in the right mood, as opposed to him.

What season is it there? Where is she kept?

It is spring here. We keep them in the garage by the door that we open in the morning.

Bunnies in the wild have their breeding season when there is more light, so the same can probably be said for domestic buns.

Maybe they are not getting enough light for the doe to realise that itis a good time to breed. Some breeders put a certain type of light (I'mnot sure what though, so hopefully someone else can help you there) inwhere the bunnies live, so that they think it is a good time to breed.Maybe doing something like that would help.

Also, when you put them together, how do you do it? I found my doe morereceptive if I enticed her with his scent before actually putting themtogether. Soemtimes doing this by swapping them in their hutches, orswapping toys, before putting them together.

When they are together does she run? Her running away from him and alsorunning in circles gets the doe going, so do they have enough space todo that?

Hello, we always put the doe in with thebuck.....I was told by a bunny expert to feed them wheatbread. We feed ours wheat bread the day before webreed. Also I have heard-take them for a ride then when youget home breed them-LOL I know but try it.

Brenda

www.mnmbunnies.com

:runningrabbit:

You could try putting a tablespoon of applecider vinegar in her water bottle.try too breed in 2 days.orswitch cages put her in his cage put him in her cage.bluebird

Back