Baldness in bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samanthaann

Reaction score
My rabbit Sampson, a 2 year old black mini lop, has a bald spot on his ear. I took him to the vet and they said he had dry skin and gave him a shot, and said his hair would grow back.

After about a week he got some peach fuzz over it, but it never grew back in fully. I know rabbits have light skin on their ears, but it looks like its spread to his other ear.

Its been about a month and a half since he went to the vet, and he is still acting normally, he's eating and everything.

Anyone have advice on rabbits with dry skin? Should I take him to the vet again?

Ask them to use a Wood's light over the area...there is always the possibility of ringworm. (Not a worm, and also, generally the species in pets are not catching in humans). If it glows under the light, its a very simply treated fungus that could be causing it. The symptoms of ringworm are generally focused on extremities like the ears, face, paws and inguinal areas - or rumps. The first symptoms are loss of hair. There may be some flaking or scabbing. Some animals hardly seem to notice, others will scratch until they cause a skin infection.

The treatment is generally miconazole - a cream commonly used for jock itch or athlete's foot in humans. The percentage of the miconazole is higher than the OTC version of cream, so you can usually only get it from a vet. They will also only prescribe it as long as area is not an easy access for the animals to clean off the cream, which can cause some upset tummies.

Keep in mind, I am not a vet, only a tech. I have seen this with cats, in particular, my own. A vet is the only one who can give the best advice based on the unique situation of the animal.

What did the shot contain?

If it really is dry skin, you could apply a drop of vegetable oil to each spot & gently rub it in. Repeat every day or so. And/or try neosporin, the kind that does NOT have pain killer in it.

I almost said olive oil, but didn't for some reason. My only concern for any oil is if the rabbit likes it so much he just licks it off. So maybe giving him some to eat would be a good idea too.

My experience, too, is based on us, not rabbits. I use cooking oil on my own arms whenever I think of it & when I'm not going to get the oil on clothes or sheets & I don't need a sunblock. I prefer the natural solutions where possible, so avoid the petroleum products when I can.

In fact, as the oil's one problem is it isn't solid at room temp, if you have access to some bees' wax, put a little cube in with some oil in a microwave-safe container & zap it until melted. Stir with a popsicle stick, toothpick or q-tip stick [cotton removed], let cool. If it's harder than you want, add oil & reheat. Or add more bees' wax if not hard enough.

^Thats pretty awesome!

I use Shea Butter for my entire body. The natural block stuff. Its amazing. I add essential oils for smell.. usually lavender, i cant ever get enough of it!

The SheaButter is what prevented stretch marks from both of my pregnancies!

researchers report that signals from stem cells in the fatty layer of the skin may trigger the growth of new hair. The study in mice may lead to better understanding and treatments to reverse baldness source

Latest posts

Back