Bald Spot on Chin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyChickenGirl

Reaction score
I read the other threads with similar titles and none of them looked quite the same.3BDFB571-177C-4D50-A64F-0FD071C97C52.jpeg40EE002E-F279-446D-8415-748C97822CBC.jpeg
I’m willing to bring him to the vet if necessary, but I don’t want to if it can be avoided. All my other buns are currently molting and I would assume that’s what this is if there weren’t some red spots like small cuts. His chin seems to mostly just be wet after drinking (he has a bowl) and doesn’t seem to have anything to do with eating. It isn’t noticeable (aside from his chin looks wet) unless you turn his nose up. I’m not exactly suehow long it has been going on for, but I just noticed it last week. Any ideas? Like I said I can take him to the vet if necessary, I just don’t want to take him and it be nothing. Also (in case it is relevant), he was just neutered last month.

Last edited:
If there's no lump, and no dandruffy or crusty skin, I would either be looking for it getting rubbed on something consistently (eg. food dish or excessive chinning), or it being due to consistent drooling from a dental issue, etc. If he's near another rabbit, there's also the possibility of over grooming from the other bun.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Teeth
Medirabbit: skin diseases

After reading through those links, I the the hair loss is from moist dermatitis. Earlier today I checked his chin a little after he had eaten his pellets and it seemed to be dry for the most part, but then after I put him back down he took a drink of water and got his chin all wet again. In the first link it says:

“Lop and dwarf breeds may be prone to having a long-lasting wet chin when drinking from a bowl or eating wet vegetables and not grooming themselves properly afterwards. Owners can help by manually wiping their chins with a towel and consider switching them to water bottles to prevent the issue from reoccurring.”

I’m thinking I dry his chin thoroughly with a soft washcloth (like one meant for babies) and give him a water bottle instead of a water bowl. Do you think that this would help?

After switching him to a bottle the fur has dried and no longer looks tender. However, for some reason the hair loss seems to be continuing.218EB807-EF81-4EF3-9FBD-CF0098587EA2.jpeg7B44D38B-DDA3-4724-B0A4-42EB8863ADF6.jpeg
Is there any chance this is just molting or maybe just still recovering? The bald patch hasn’t expanded very much, if at all. I’m wondering if it is maybe just loose hair from when he had moist dermatitis?

Latest posts

Back