Bald shoulders? (a question about Mini Rex's and molting)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.e.

Reaction score
I know that when Rex molts it tends to be very scruffy and patchy, and that's not unusual for his breed. But he stopped molting over a week ago and his shoulders are still completely bald. No peach fuzz or anything, just bare skin, almost an one-inch square on both sides. I've never seen this before :ponder: Has anyone else?

Yep. Bo has times where his bald spots are bald way longer than the rest. DId you brush him while he was losing his hair? I think they lose it all and then some comes back slower than other areas........

Bo has a bald butt in one area right now.

Could also be that Rex is getting older so he's changing more.

I have never seen bald spots on my mini-rex bucks when they are molting.

Just the does when they pull fur for their nests. I would check out whether

they have fur mites.

Roger

Our Mini Rex boys have had some weird moults. Yeah, they can get bald patches. (If you plucked the fur out cause it was loose, it may take a little longer to come back in.)

As long as the skin is clean and smooth, no flakes, and he isn't losing anymore, give him time. It may take another week for the peach fuzz to start.

I took Bo to check for mites and ringworm - it's not a bad idea at all - but our vet said that they have had REAL weird molts this year.

BlueGiants - that's exactly what happens..... you get some loose hair and hair under it but sometimes they get all this loose hair and some baldness under it.... then the pretty new hair comes in.

I always talk to Bo about his "pretty new hairs comin' in!" I swear he understands and eats it up.... ;)

I'm glad I read this. I didn't really know that rexs molt! I've never seen Acorn do it yet, but now that I have these 2 girls , I won't freak as much if it does happen.
:)

Thanks for the input.

I'm still trying to decide if I should be concerned just yet, or wait it out for a little while longer. He is getting older and this is the first molt he's had without Peanut togroom him andkeep him looking presentable ;)But if this keeps up then I'd definitely want the vet to check it out.

Well, that didn't take long...:foreheadsmack:

Rex is definitely losing fur along his back, his skin is flakey, and now on his left shoulder there's a very small red patch that looks irritated. I'm thinking - mites? :dunno Otherwise the rest of his fur is very sleek and soft.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to the vet's we go ;)

It sounds like cheyletiellosis mites (fur mites).

It has the same symptoms and usually starts around the head/neck area then moves down.

It seems to be very easy to treat. I'm still needing to take Pebbles in because of a bit of dandruff on her ears, so I've been doing quite a bit of research on it. I think ivermectin and revolution are both common treatments for it.

Hope Rex is alright!

Yep rex does this too...sometimes it is on his own and sometimes it is with the help of mini! It will grow back...sometimes I put a little aloe vera it is raw. Seems to help.

Spring wrote:

It has the same symptoms and usually starts around the head/neck area then moves down.

It seems to be very easy to treat. I'm still needing to take Pebbles in because of a bit of dandruff on her ears, so I've been doing quite a bit of research on it. I think ivermectin and revolution are both common treatments for it.

Hope Rex is alright!

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that we're dealing with mites, but the vet will give us a definitive when we see him this week. Aside from some embarassment (he does not appreciate being called Reximus Baldimus :whistling), Rex doesn't seem to be too itchy or uncomfortable.

A couple questions, though (for anyone who might know):

Are mites like fleas? That is, should all of his bedding be washed? What about the carpet?

And how concerned should I be about our four cats? They're exceptionally healthy and haven't shown any signs of skin problems, but they do play with Rex and share his bedding and they're not currently on any flea/tick preventatives.

btw, I understand if this needs to be moved to The Infirmary :)

m.e. wrote:
Spring wrote:

Hope Rex is alright!

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that we're dealing with mites, but the vet will give us a definitive when we see him this week. Aside from some embarassment (he does not appreciate being called Reximus Baldimus :whistling), Rex doesn't seem to be too itchy or uncomfortable.

A couple questions, though (for anyone who might know):

Are mites like fleas? That is, should all of his bedding be washed? What about the carpet?

And how concerned should I be about our four cats? They're exceptionally healthy and haven't shown any signs of skin problems, but they do play with Rex and share his bedding and they're not currently on any flea/tick preventatives.

btw, I understand if this needs to be moved to The Infirmary :)

Mites are not like fleas in that they do not jump from host to host. And Mites can't really survive off their host. But as to whether it can be spread to the cats, I'd address that question with the vet. Just keep in mind that some meds used to treat mites on cats may not be safe around rabbits. Let the vet know they play/sleep together. It might be easier to treat them all at one time, if necessary. (And yes, I'd wash the bedding in hot water. The carpet too if you can) Most of the mite treatments (Ivermec or Revolution) will make the rabbit systemically poisonous to mites for 15-30 days.

Thanks, BlueGiants :)

Here's a photo from this morning (as you can see, Rex disapproves of such an unflattering shot :embarrassed:)

2175359652_78714be496.jpg

Just to give you an idea of how rapidly moving this stuff is, you'll recall that on Thursday the fur loss was only a one-inch patch on his shoulders. I'll be calling the vets in just a bit to make an appointment...

Rex has an appointment at 2:10 EST, so we'll be leaving in about twenty minutes. I decided to clip his nails before the visit and discovered two things (that were hard to detect given Rex's extreme detest for snuggling :nope:):

First, he's lost weight - in a good way :muscleman: Since his dinner pellets were replaced with salad, and because he's been a lot more active, he's lost that belly pudge and developed a much trimmer physique. Go Rex! :run:

Second, he's also lost fur on his chest. My poor baby and his dry, wrinkly skin :sigh: Hopefully Dr. Fulton will have a solution for us.

Well, Baldy Boy and I are home.

The vet did a skin scraping and didn’t see any mites, but said that didn’t mean they weren’t there. She also said that a fungal infection (aka, ringworm) is highly unlikely because it wouldn’t cover 70% of his body in a matter of days; Rex has lost fur on his head, neck, shoulders, back, chest, stomach and groin area. The only bright spot is that it doesn’t appear to be itchy or bothersome.

Since the vet had noticed a little dander on Rex at the bunnies’ check-up in September, the more likely scenario is that the stress of losing Peanut and going through a major molt set the stage for a mite uprising.

In the words of another immortal rabbit, "
Of course you realize, dis means war!" :boxing

Dr. Fulton gave Rex an injection of Ivermectin and if we don't see improvement soon, then she'll do a fungal culture. In the meantime ALL of his bedding is being washed and the cats are being pre-emptively treated with Frontline.

Just another manic Monday :thud:

Same exact scenario as Bo's vet appt this past fall minus the stress factor but he could have been stressing over Tony.

My vet did a scraping and found no ringworm either.

I didn't let them do the ivermectin - they were going to use the topical kind. I know that's probably stupid but Bo doesn't have dandruff really and never has. I'm afraid to give them any medicines at all......

He's gotten better also.

Back