Bald Patches

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebeccaUK

Reaction score
Hi

Has anyone ever experienced their bunnies having bald patchesbefore. this evening I was grooming Benjamin and I noticed apatch on his head about 1cm sq which is completely bald although theway his fur lays it's un-noticeable unless you brush the fur the wrongway. He has been a little lazy too lately although chirps upwhen the dried papaya comes out and he's still inquisitive. Ijust wondered if if was anything I should be worried about.He started moulting a few days ago so I didn't know whether thebaldness could be related to that although he's never had a bald patchbefore. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks folks

Bo had some patchy shorter hair when he moltedbut I don't think he really had much of bald spots.... however, when Igroomed his head and it molted out, he did have one area that was a bitbald between his eyes. If you looked at him you could see itfrom a few feet away even. It's all grown back in sincethen. (very thick also!) This was his junior moltand I have heard those are worse than regular ones.

Personally, I don't know what to tell you, I just thought I would giveyou my experience. I'd probably wait a couple of days to seeif hair grew back if he's acting normal and eating and pooingnormal......

If Benjamin is scratchingalot, has flaky ( dandruff) skin, and has many bald spots, he may haveskin mites, an allergic reaction to fleas.Both ofthemcan be treated with at flea powder.

Haveyou had him for a long time? Itmight be his first heavy shed so this might be his first baldspot.:)

Hi

Thanks for the replies. Benjamin is 18 months old orthereabouts. The patch is inbetween his eyes on the top ofhis head. He has no other bald patches other than the one onhis head but I will keep a close eye on him. It's got meworried as I've never had balding rabbits before. There isnot even 1 hair on the bald patch it's just shiny pink skinunderneath. There is no pain when I touch the area so it hasobviously just come out naturally - he hasn't scratched it away.

Did you happen to notice anything recently like a"V" shape in his hair there? I've heard that's a sign ofmolting and Bo did that before he had a BIG molt.

Have you tried brushing him with a rubber brush to see if other hair is coming out?

He often has a V shape on his head and weirdmoult-patterns as he's going through the various stages - that rabbitalways seems to be moulting. I'm gonna find out how to usethe digi-camera and post some pics of it so people can give theirdiagnosis.

Rebecca. x

What breed is he? Someone here told me when I gotValuran, who is a Mini Rex, that it's common for them to get baldpatches from time to time. Valuran had a big bald patch behind hishead, behind his ears, when we first got him. It's since then grownback fine and I haven't seen another one since.

Hi

He is an agouti mix. We bought him thinking he was a SilverFox but I've since been re-educated. His fur is normally sothick and lustrous and medium in length. The patch hasn't gotany bigger today anyway so fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

He's cute!!!

yeah, Bo does those weird patterns. We called him our baldbaby when he had that spot where he was molting. It didn'tlast long, it had little stubble within a few days...

And, I was also told mini-rex might get patchy bald places too.

Personally, I would watch him for a few more days, see what happens....if there's no sign of regrowth, get him in for testing......

Latest posts

Back